Monday, May 12, 2008

McCain and Ethanol

Along the line of global warming, we get back to ethanol subsidies. Forest Defender commented that John McCain is playing the I care about the environment game trying to get some votes from The Left. That's to be expected. I had to admit though, in McCain's favor, I'd read somewhere that he'd spoken to a bunch of Iowa farmers and told them he was opposed to ethanol subsidies. Good for him, if I'm remembering correctly.

Can't find the news story on that, though. I thought it was this one, but that just says he's been a long time opponent of ethanol subsidies. Good for him, again. Maybe I just misread that, or maybe I read it somewhere else? I don't know.

But, I'll concede that might be a point in McCain's favor. I say might because people say all sorts of things. especially during elections. Action is what counts.

So what about Hilllary and Obama? I read somewhere recently that Hillary's pretty tight with the corn growers. Don't know about Obama. I also thought I read some carefully crafted lines from both their campaigns that something needed to be done regarding rising food prices. I don't know that I expect much from any of them in this regard, but McCain seems to have the longest held opposition to ethanol subsidies.

About the only good thing going on in regards this is there's at least a few people in congress that seem to really be taking a look at this boondoggle. Whether that amounts to anything positive being done in the long run remains to be seen.

10 Comments:

At 5:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I do don't find forest defender objectionable personally,his uninformed blind view of politics(radical liberal bullshit) is quite objectionable. I hate the war, never supported it,hate the dummies who promote ethanol as more than a stop gap,and even then it doesn't add up. I've watched McCain taking good stands most of the time. He was off on the emigration issue but seems to be getting a better position now. All in all he is a class act. Now I have many reasons not to vote for Obama all of which are about his entitlement leanings and views on taxes and supporting bigger government. I feel he is a classy act as well. I will most likely vote for McCain but I will never act like forest defender and demean Obama. To do so would belittle the process and myself as well. Grow up F.D. or as an old friend often says,"grow some".

 
At 11:04 PM, Blogger Ernie Branscomb said...

A little Eyeopener on biofuels for you.

 
At 9:33 AM, Blogger kaivalya said...

sorry if this is off topic, but did you hear that Bob Barr is running as the Lib canidate against McCain?

 
At 9:43 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yep. It's been talked about for some time. Now he's pretty much confirmed it.

While I don't have as much a problem with Bob Barr, as some do, I'd prefer someone else. Don't have a problem with him being in the LP, though.

There's a decent argument against Barr's nomination on lewrockwell.com this morning:
http://www.lewrockwell.com/katz-j/katz-j28.html

While I might not agree with the specifics of all the guy's arguments, he pretty much convinced me that it wouldn't be a good idea to have Barr get the nomination.

 
At 9:46 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I might add I was of the mind it didn't matter too much to me who ended up getting the LP nod, as long as they weren't too close in with the War Party. After all, who cares who the nominee is of a party that maybe gets one- half percent of the vote every presidential election?

I still pretty much feel that way but don't want someone as a nominee that has the kind of legislative record that would make us look bad, at least on some issues.

 
At 10:36 AM, Blogger kaivalya said...

I'm mostly just glad to see some conservative criticism of McCain.
Maybe they could set up a cage fight between Nader and Barr. Who do you think would win?

 
At 1:23 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I've never been impressed with Nader. I'll give the fight to Barr.

 
At 7:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

for me, this is one more reason not to vote for mccain. what a flipflopper! is this how he would act in office? he has never supported any CO2 caps before.

the old man isnt as tough as i thought he was........caving in to "global warming"...lol

 
At 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

McCain will shut down medical marijuana clinics so we won't have to worry about the federal agent raids . He made his millions off of the beer industry . Continue war forever and start another war with Iran inflaming even further the middle east against America increasing gas prices crippling our economy . Ok , whose voting for another George Hitler
Bush ?

 
At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the war with iran is being pushed in order to bring the second coming of jesus. mccain and hagee believe that a war between iran and isreal will convince jesus to come and "save his people".

 

Post a Comment

<< Home