Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Rogan Coombs: R.I.P.

Another North Coast icon, Rogan Coombs, died recently. From what I've heard, he was a bit of a mover and shaker, although I rarely actually heard from, or about, the guy himself.

I don't know that I've ever met Rogan, although I might of spoken to him on the phone once or twice. Although a registered Republican, I believe he was also a Life Member of the Libertarian Party, that status gained by paying a certain amount of money for lifetime membership dues. That's where I first saw his name- the LP of Humboldt membership list, when I first got involved with the party.

Another local libertarian, Ron, related the story of Rogan attending some local Republican meeting many years ago where everyone was discussing an upcoming election. According to Ron, Rogan rose quite a few eyebrows when he said, "I'm voting for Harry Brown...", the Libertarian Party presidential candidate at the time.

Don't know just how true that was but I got the impression he was quite the libertarian oriented guy. The kind of guy we need more of in this world.

2 Comments:

At 11:08 AM, Blogger Steve Lewis said...

I don't know about that, Fred. Rogan once called me in to praise my E.R. columns and to talk because he thought I was on his wavelength with my anti-Zionist column crusade of yersteryon. He didn't take all that well to my defense of Jewish people in principle and didn't see my point in differentiating between Jews and the Jewish faith and Zionism and Israel. They were all the same to him and our conversation ended fairly abruptly and I left his office kinda shaking my head..

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello Fred. Thanks for the link to the story. We are posting to our Web site within the hour some photos of the equipment Coombs donated to Roots of Motive Power in Willits. They arrived too late for our E-edition, but are worth taking a look at.

-Nathan Rushton

 

Post a Comment

<< Home