Wednesday, June 04, 2008

The Unwatched Race

I suppose I'm as guilty as the rest, but few seem to have paid attention to the Republican primary for U.S. Congress. They had two candidates running for the chance to oppose Mike Thompson. It's a pleasant surprise to see they picked the one that would have been my choice, at least from the one article I read some time ago in one of the papers on the two Republican challengers.

Maybe I missed it but I didn't see any mention of the results in the Times- Standard. The Eureka Reporter covered it, though. The race was a little bit tighter than the results shown in the Eureka Reporter. The Smartvoter page shows it at Starkwolf 54.1% and Pharr at 45.9%. That shows stronger support than I would of expected for Pharr, the War Party candidate.

So, that means a three way race for Thompson's seat come November- Green Party candidate, Carol Wolman being the third contender. I haven't voted in the congressional race for some years unless there was a Libertarian running, not wanting to vote for Thompson and certainly not going to vote for past Republican/ War Party candidate, Lawrence Weisner.

I'll keep an eye on this Starkwolf fellow and see how oriented toward liberty he seems. Maybe I'll actually have someone to vote for in that race come November. Then again, maybe not.

Update/ Correction: My mistake. The folks at the Times- Standard have pointed out they did cover the Republican primary. What makes this really embarrassing for me is I read both the online and hard copy versions and scanned right through the references to that story.

4 Comments:

At 2:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It seems the person who won the most yesterday was bonnie neeley. I was told only 10K showed up at the polls. It's a sad day for our County. But since bonnie has won, perhaps she will change her true registration to that of a democrat.
God, I hate what she has become.

 
At 6:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What has Bonnie become, Joy, that you despise so much?

 
At 10:33 AM, Blogger mresquan said...

"I was told only 10K showed up at the polls."

Well figure that there were approx.12,000+ voted absentee ballots sent in prior to Tues.And then include provisionals and absentees turned in at the polling locations.
What does she despise?
That Bonnie has grown to work on behalf of her constituency,which doesn't toe any right wing line.

 
At 7:22 AM, Blogger Gregg Jocoy said...

I know nothing at all about any of the people mentioned in the article, and it is entirely possible that the Green nominee will not be acceptable to you, but I would point out this to you and your readers.

The Green Party has as in our Ten Key Values the following, which many consider consistent with Libertarian Party positions.

Non-violence
Grassroots Democracy
Personal and Global Responsibility
Decentralization

I am not familiar enough with Libertarian theory to know if any of the GP's other Ten Key Values fit the local races or not, but I do believe that there seem to be more Green agreement with Libertarians than between either party and the Democrats or Republicans.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home