Sunday, October 19, 2008

Who's Stealing The Signs?

Like the Times- Standard mentions, stealing campaign signs is nothing new around here, but I still can't help but wonder who is doing it?

I started noticing it a couple weeks ago. The first ones gone weren't even Prop 8 signs. Someone stole two signs from the Matteoli's yard across the street from my house: A Jager sign and, believe it or not, the sign designating their house as one of those in the Eureka Heritage Society's Home Tour. What's up with that?

Shortly after that, the morning after they put it up, the Matteoli's Yes on Prop 8 sign was gone. Then I noticed a Yes on 8 sign around the corner on F street. The next day I drive by there, that one was gone.

So far the three yard signs in my front yard are still there. I keep expecting to come out some morning and find them all gone. A few years ago I woke up to find all five of the signs I had up gone. I guess there's still time.

You'd think someone, one of these days, would find a big pile of stolen signs somewhere. That might lead to a clue as to who some of these people are. Until then we can only wonder.

If any of the people visiting this blog have been stealing signs, would you mind explaining why you think it's ok to do that.

3 Comments:

At 9:03 AM, Blogger Tapperass said...

Lack of civility.

As much as those commercials for "Yes on 8" are quite disturbing -and not to mention insulting to intelligent people- I am not so moved that I feel the need to uproot any "Yes on 8" signs.

The sign removal is a reminder that people with limited critical thinking skills are among us.

-boy

 
At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred - I admit that I have been stealing signs from the time I was 10 years old. It started innocently enough when I first noticed the opposing team’s third base coach appearing to be swatting flies whenever one of his hitters was up. It then manifested itself when one day I found myself on second base and the catcher, well he seemed to be adjusting his cup but I later found out he was signaling to his pitcher which launched me on my career as a “sign stealer.”

Well, you can imagine my chagrin, in later years as a coach, when I found out others were stealing my signs. I complained to the authorities in blue but they just told me that it is “part of the game.”

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger mresquan said...

Personally Fred,I'd just toilet paper your house if I wanted to have fun with you.Sign vandalism:Bunch of young kids,nothing to do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home