Saturday, November 15, 2008

A Bird Thing

This is an Eastern Kingbird. I've seen them off an on around here for years. Just saw one again in my back yard the other day.

Thing is, for years, I thought it must be the Western Kingbird. After all, what would an Eastern Kingbird be doing on the west coast?

But both my bird guides show this as an Eastern Kingbird. Funny thing is, while this online guide says the Eastern Kingbird ranges all the way to the Pacific Coast, the accompanying range map doesn't show it in California. Neither of the range maps in my bird guides show it in California, either.

At least the Western Kingbird range map shows it as living in the west, although it's hard to tell on the map if it lives here on the coast. I don't think I've ever seen a Western Kingbird around here.

So, bottom line is, this is indeed an Eastern Kingbird, not a western one.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home