Saturday, February 21, 2009

Fighter Pilots Needed

Not much of interest in the news today so I thought I'd take the time to recruit players for the main game in my life, Aces High. To get an idea of what it's like, there are some Youtube videos available online.

This one I like simply because I loved the mini- series Band of Brothers. The guy who made the video put together a montage of screen shots from Aces High and added the music from Band of Brothers and named the video Band of Aces. Cool. Runs just over a couple minutes.

Here's one of a P47 mission that shows a little of more what it looks and sounds like from a player's perspective. It runs a little over two and a half minutes. The graphics may be different from computer to computer depending of your graphics card, among other things. That video looks a little fuzzier to me than the game does on my computer.

More videos of Aces High footage here.

They offer a free one or two week trial period. After the two weeks it's just $14.95 a month for unlimited play time. Give it a try and maybe I'll see you in the deadly skies of Aces High.

6 Comments:

At 11:06 AM, Blogger Doc Anchovy said...

My Uncle, Hal Shook, was a P-47 pilot during WW2. Google his name in both text and images if that interests you.

-Doc

 
At 1:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The P-47 Thunderbolt was a great plane, and sturdy as hell. There are stories of Luftwaffe pilots unable to knock wounded P-47s out of the sky because they were so bullet-proof.

But the P-51 Mustang, with its extraordinary range, introduced into the European Theater in late 1943, was the elite fighter plane of WWII. It's long range meant that bomber squadrons penetrating deep into Nazi-held Europe no longer had to go in unprotected by fighers. The P-51s saved thousands of aviators' lives in the last year and a half of the war and won complete air supremacy for the allies by D-Day in June 1944.

 
At 2:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Damn that game looks awesome. I imagine it's more than just flying around with a bunch of guys chatting about drinking and flying, right?

When I can afford a computer upgrade, I might give it a try. My P4 rig and old school video card bogs down on a lot less demanding graphics games.

I was watching a History Channel show yesterday about some real fighter aces from the Korean and Vietnam wars. They appear to be using similar gaming graphics to recreate some of the battles the pilots recounted.

 
At 3:36 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yep. Those History Channel shows use pretty similar graphics.

It does take a computer with some Ooomph to play the game but I've know some people to play them with not so hot machines. Actually, I think most people play the game with machines other than a high speed Alienware like I have.

For a while, though, I was playing it on the laptop some of the folks here gave me. It could just barely handle the game and there was a horizontal dark line about an inch and a half wide through the middle of the screen because the video card couldn't handle the graphics. Still, I played for a few months on the laptop and actually improved my game.

You know it takes some oomph to make the game run when you play it on the laptop. It's the only time I've ever heard the cooling fan go on, and I don't even have to be playing the game. I just click on it to open it. As soon as the game comes up the fan starts.

 
At 4:18 PM, Blogger Doc Anchovy said...

You couldn't GIVE a P-51 to a "Jug" pilot.

 
At 7:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've been playing a while and am getting a new laptop, does the X4500HD card work with the game?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home