Thursday, March 26, 2009

May Ballot Measures Fate Uncertain

It's probably too early to say for sure, but polls are showing most voters oppose the ballot measures scheduled to be on the ballot for the special election in May. The one exception being Prop 1F.

I think I agree with the current majority in favor of Prop 1F, which blocks pay raises for state elected officials when the state is running a deficit. Of course, the way I see it, that means most elected officials will probably never get a pay raise, at least in my lifetime.

Meanwhile, the Sacramento Bee reports sides are starting to be drawn as far as who is for and who is against the propositions. In a rare instance of agreement, the Howard Jarvis Taxpayers Association is siding with a couple of government employee unions against Prop 1A. They might be on the same side, but no doubt have different reasons for opposing the measure.

As for myself, I'm still not sure just how I'll vote on any of the props but 1F
.

7 Comments:

At 9:45 AM, Blogger mresquan said...

Don't know quite yet how I'll be voting on it,but there are some things I agree with about the redistribution of lottery funds measure.Imho,the lottery funds have been well misappropriated up to this point.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger mresquan said...

And again,I also have to remember to not vote just reactionarily.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Indeed. I'll admit to paying attention to who does and doesn't support a ballot initiative. I often, but not always, will use that type of information to decide.

But when you have two traditionally rival groups both opposing a given initiative, I think you have to pay extra attention to the details and pros and cons of the issue.

 
At 9:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pay raises,hell these bastards need jail time. Our electorate makes AIG look like saints.

 
At 9:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Notices from the Howard Jarvis camp have said that Prop 1A may be the beginning of the end for Prop 13. Most of the propositions are to actually balance the budget that they just passed and if they fail California will be in the hole again.

With their salaries I don't know why that State has to also buy them a car. I believe they make enough to be able to afford one with the State's giving them another benefit. They get catered food at about a million or more and all their expenses covered including their "staff" which includes their staff that operates in various areas such as John Woolley.

 
At 9:56 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"Most of the propositions are to actually balance the budget that they just passed and if they fail California will be in the hole again.

In some ways I don't see how they can balance the budget without extending the tax increases. Then again, I suspect that even if these propositions pass, we'll still end up in the hole if only because of the spending culture that pervades Sacramento.

 
At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We need to cut up their credit cards. Can't wait for the State sales tax to kick in and then Eureka and some other areas too. Shopping for some things in Oregon is looking better all the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home