Monday, April 20, 2009

Another Bad Obama Nomination

Hey, I think I've been pretty cool regarding the Obama Administration, for the most part. Not that I've dealt with it much here. But, some more bad news from a libertarian perspective in his most recent nomination.

I've mentioned before one of my least favorite organizations is Mothers Against Drunk Driving (MADD). So who does Obama nominate for head of the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration? Chuck Hurley, CEO of MADD, of course.

Radley Balko, over at The Agitator blog, tells us some background and a little of what we can expect from Hurley, if he ends up being accepted for the position.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 10:46 PM, Blogger Eric V. Kirk said...

I agree with you.

Probably not a huge point, but I've seen over the years maybe a dozen MADD representatives interviewed on one issue or another. All but one of the "mothers" was male. Just made me wonder.

 
At 1:11 PM, Anonymous Mr. Nice said...

MADD doesn't even recognize designated drivers as being a good thing. They insist that having a DD is just an excuse for the rest of the party to drink. To this I say no kidding it is an excuse to drink, you bunch of squares.

Although I don't drink alcohol myself, I can hardly see the problem with people drinking a couple of glasses of wine at a restaurant and driving home. Slightly intoxicated drivers are generally better drivers than people on cell phones, drivers who suck all the time anyway, or the driver that my grandmother was. I concede that people who are at levels like .15+ BAC are drunk and should not be driving, but I don't think this is a good excuse to violate everyone's civil liberties in order to catch the tiny fraction of people driving drunk.

I never had any faith that Obama would not pander to special interest groups by appointing some of their propaganda artists to high government positions. I have been surprised that he has not based his decisions purely on special interest groups.

 
At 2:45 PM, Anonymous Joyful said...

Fred,
I formed a group a number of years ago-DAMM-Drunks Against Mad Mothers. Saw a PBR van the other day and I sure miss those bugs! Maybe they'd like to join.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home