Saturday, April 11, 2009

Join The NRA....It's Free!

Looks like the National Rifle Association is giving away free one year trial memberships in order to boost their ranks in anticipation of pending anti- gun legislation. With the Democrats holding the White House and majority of both houses of congress, I'd say that's a valid concern.

That said, I read something somewhere recently that said there were enough pro- second amendment Democrats (albeit still a minority) that, combined with Republicans in congress, they felt the pro- gun rights forces could block most anti- gun legislation. I hope they're right.

Doesn't look like they include a subscription to their American Rifleman magazine in the trial membership deal, but you can have mine if you want. I've been a Life Member of the NRA since the mid- seventies and just don't read the magazine that often anymore.

So give the NRA a try. There's nothing to lose, only your rights to be protected.


7 Comments:

At 11:10 AM, Blogger lunatic fringe said...

Thanks Fred, I did, and not to worry I'm not REALLY a lunatic.

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Let's hope not.

As I recall, back when I first joined the NRA around '76, there used to be some patriotic type loyalty oath you had to sign to join. I can't recall what the exact words were but it was kind of like swearing you weren't some commie trying to overthrow America.

If you were a new member, you had to get the signature of some local bigwig like a judge or cop to certify you were of good moral character, too. I didn't know anyone like that so I went down to the Sheriff's Office and a deputy (whose name escapes me at the moment but I think he works for the DA's office now) ran a quick criminal check on me and signed my application.

None of that needed to join the NRA anymore. I don't know what the annual dues for the NRA are now, but back then it might have been around $15 a month.

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it's a one-year free membership, why wouldn't every peace-loving person join the NRA and start turning the organization around toward sensible gun control? Perhaps you don't have a say in that first year.

 
At 11:36 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Try it, and see where that gets you, 11:02.

 
At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When did they start charging for membership?
Guess I've been out of the country too long. Back in the day they basically begged you to put the stickers on your truck windows and join their mailing list.

What do you get for the membership, besides truck window stickers and money-dunning junk mail and "24/7 Defense of Your Firearm Freedoms" and free admission to yet another a gun show?

Will they send me to that Machine-gun shooting hootanannie in Knob Creek? 50% off AK ammo? A James Brady effigy suitable for yard or xmas tree decoration?

Cuz otherwise I'll probably just pass.

-Ted Williams (anonymous)

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"When did they start charging for membership?".

As far as I know- and I'm going back to the 70s- they always have charged for memberships, at least voting memberships. Maybe they had some free associate type membership for people that just want a decal, or some such, but I was paying dues back around '74ish.

 
At 10:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Here's a funny music video making fun of "gun free zones from sea to sea." The vision of "New America" according to progressives, who hate the NRA:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ibHFAXGUwo

 

Post a Comment

<< Home