Saturday, April 25, 2009

PG&E: Hirings (and Layoffs?)

I was surprised to read that the new power plant being built at King Salmon is supposed to be operational by next summer. I guess the jobs related to that construction won't last as long as I'd thought. I was thinking at least five years.

But rumor has it, and I stress the word RUMOR, PG&E won't be keeping the operators of the current power plant on. They'll be replacing them since it would cost too much to retrain them, if that makes any sense.

That's second or third hand information the wife related to me via a brother- in- law that is one of the current operators and has been for over 20 years. I just asked her again if he was still supposed to be laid off and she said they're not sure about anything yet.

I have a hard time believing that and suspect it's a rumor started somewhere, but I guess you never know.

4 Comments:

At 12:34 PM, Anonymous Mike Buettner said...

I heard a similar story from a friend who is an operator. He didn't say layoffs but early retirement.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I was wondering if it might be something like that. The guy I know has been there over 20 years, maybe even 25. I would think he's eligible to retire. It might not make sense to go through training someone just to have them retire a few years later.

 
At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

An update on staffing for the new units at our power plant. At the current time there are no similar generating units in the PG&E system so there are no trained operators employed by the company.

But there will be a new plant manager coming some time in the late June-July time period. PG&E is saying that that he/she should be allowed to select and train the new workers, and are refusing to offer retraining and hence continued jobs to the current operators.

The workers' union seems to be very passive on this issue and giving almost no support to our locals.

 
At 3:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are forcefully retiring with a max two year package and hiring young people so they don't have to pay as much and in the long run they loose well educated and experieced people. A selfish way to say thank you to those employees dedicating more than half their lives to a company, not to mention those extended families looking forward to the pension. Experience doesn't matter these day just looks and some acting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home