Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Would You Subscribe?

As mentioned over at Humboldt Herald the other day, the Times- Standard is going to start charging for access to its web site sometime in the future. This article, which appeared in the T-S Business Section this morning, looks further into the subject and cites one newspaper that is making that work.

The Arkansas Democrat- Gazette only allows subscribers of their hard copy free access to the online addition. Non- subscribers have to pay. Sounds like it works for them as their readership has increased recently, unlike most other newspapers.

I'm still wondering how this would affect bloggers since most of us just take it for granted we can link to news web sites? I suppose, in a way, nothing would change. We could still link to the news sites but blog readers would have to pay for their own subscription to use any links you provided.

Would you pay a fee to access news web sites? You might have to, eventually, if you want to read the news and everybody is charging for access.

7 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pay money for the TS? Never in life, my dear.

 
At 9:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would subscribe only if all of the news is placed online. A great deal of information in the print edition does not appear on the website.

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I believe they already have their e- edition out.
http://tinyurl.com/o7a2l4

It's like a pdf file of the hard copy version. The link on their web site is on the upper right of their web site.

 
At 1:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Umm, no. What a horrible, ghastly interface for reading news. To gain traction, they must put news on regular webpages.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I agree. I much prefer it in a regular web page format as opposed to pdf files.

 
At 9:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The pdf files can be viewed as a regular newspaper would be viewed. That's the version I pay (only) $39 per year for. I consider it a bargain. It has everything the paper version has (except the advertising inserts and the Sunday comics.)

People seem to think the T-S offers only two options: Print version or Free online version. For me, the best option is the $39per year online version.]

The online newspaper looks just like the print version except that it is bigger (on my screen), much easier to read (for my eyes), and I never have to worry about newsprint piling up around my house.

 
At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

In case I didn't make it clear, the pdf files are only one of the formats you can use if you get the $39/year version of the T-S.

The format I like best allows me to double click on any article I want to read. The article is then expanded on the larger right-hand side of the screen for easy viewing.

As I say, the articles are much easier for me to read than the paper version. Why? The screen is brighter, the ink is darker, and with my big new LCD screen, the print is larger than in the paper version.

It's just perfect for a member in good standing of the now-grey Baby Boom Generation.

In fact, I think any computer-literate person who gives it a try will prefer this way of viewing the Times-Standard.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home