Sunday, September 27, 2009

Firefox Freaks Out

Anybody been having a problem with Mozilla Firefox the last couple days? I don't know what happened to mine but it sure spazzed out.

It got slower and slower to open since at least yesterday. Then, this morning it was all I could do to get it to open. Even right- clicking and using Open on the desktop shortcut wouldn't open it. When it was opened, I found it wouldn't open an extra window, even if I clicked on the "Open New Window" command in the File menu.

So, I'd close the browser and, assuming it would open at all, I'd get a message that my last browser session ended unexpectedly and it would ask me to restore the previous session or start a new one. Pretty strange since I simply closed the browser without any apparent problem.

So, after restarting the computer probably four times, I decide to uninstall/ reinstall Firefox (after first shutting down my firewall- anti virus program in case that was causing the problem). I tried to start the browser one more time. It wouldn't start, so I go to uninstall it and get a message that I need to shut the browser down before I can uninstall.

So, I minimize all windows to see if Firefox has opened while I was unaware. Nope, just my desktop there. So I try uninstalling again and get the same message that I have to close the browser.

I restarted the computer after that and was able to uninstall and reinstall with only a slight problem that I've since solved. Anyone else had a similar problem? Must of been something I did, or neglected, like an update, I'm guessing.

Now, on to Aces High. This is cutting in to my game time.

4 Comments:

At 10:13 AM, Blogger Rose said...

Yes! Everyone I know had major issues with Firefox yesterday. All over the country.

 
At 10:26 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Do you know if they're still having problems? I know I couldn't enter my sweeps at one of my sweepstakes sites with Firefox (works fine now) but I was able to enter them using Explorer.

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have en having a similar problem recently, but I thought it was just the machine itself.It eventually comes on, but it takes a long time after some fiddling. This sound familiar. Glad its not just me.

 
At 2:56 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Mine got worse and worse. I don't remember when it started. It might have been after the last Firefox upgrade. It just got slower and slower until it was barely functioning.

It's back to normal now, after the reinstall. One slight problem I had with install was, after install was finished, some Adobe window opened and said some Adobe program (Acrobat Reader?) wasn't up to date and it would affect my internet and browser use if I didn't upgrade.

So, I did the Adobe upgrade and it asked me to restart for changes to take effect. I opted to not restart right away because I wanted to see if Firefox was fixed.

It didn't seem fixed, because every time I'd try to open a new window, an Adobe Download Manager window would open. I'd wondered if I'd been suckered into installing malware, or something.

Then I remembered the restart instructions. Once I restarted the computer, the Download Manager windows disappeared and everything works fine now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home