Saturday, December 19, 2009

Arcata Recycling

Looks like Arcata folks will be waiting a bit longer for their recycling bins. From the Times- Standard description it sounds like they'll be getting the same ones Eureka already has. The Eureka ones have general instructions for what goes into each section of the bin, but I've noticed many people put non- recyclables in the bins even after supposedly reading the flier that was sent to all residents specifying what should and shouldn't be thrown in the bins.

Yesterday, I noticed a bin that had a milk carton in with the paper items. Milk cartons aren't recyclable. I thought this person knew better. There was also a mayo container in with the glass and plastic that hadn't been rinsed out or had the lid removed. You should at least clean out food containers before throwing them in there and the plastic lids generally aren't recyclable, or so I've been told.

I suspect, as I've mentioned before, that what little I've seen is just the tip of the iceberg and the Arcata Recycling Center is probably getting tons of trash mixed in with the recyclables from Eureka alone. If Eurekans are screwing this up, you know Arcatans will probably screw this up even worse.

I'm going to send a suggestion to the writer of the story. Might be nice to know just how much of what the recycling folks are getting that isn't supposed to be mixed in with the recyclables.

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your nice public-spirited article about recycling started to stink about the time you decided to slander Arcatans as a group. I say that on behalf of my friends who are Arcatans and my ancestors who were Arcatans.

Oh, yeah - I am a Eurekan. One who lives very near your neighborhood.

Merry Christmas, Fred.

Don't forget to Love Thy Neighbor.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home