Friday, January 01, 2010

Losing More Old Technology

I was wondering in the back of my mind whether my plan to switch to broadcast television might end up being undermined by technology one way or another. Then I figured it probably wouldn't as the networks make money by advertising and, by broadcasting their programs, they can reach an audience beyond what they could get using satellite and cable.

I guess not. According to this guy, advertising isn't bringing in the bucks like it used to and networks are looking for another way to survive. That might mean an end to broadcasting so they can force everyone into having to pay more and more for cable and satellite.

Broadcast TV isn't the only thing we might be losing. Doc Anchovy sent me this piece yesterday about old fashioned land line telephones. Looks like those might be going by the wayside, too, although I suspect those of us on the user end won't notice as much difference as would users of broadcast TV.

Kind of a shame. I like the idea of broadcast TV and Plain Old Telephone Service being available.

4 Comments:

At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those old TV ads have been bothering me for years. I hate that they turn up the volume so loud when the commercials play. I've worn out more mute buttons on my remotes than any other key.

Lately, I'm turning off the TV whenever I'm assaulted by loud volume, by sickening sounds and the like. I leave it off and do other things. Then eventualy, sometimes I remember to turn the TV back on. Each minute the TV is off, the advertisers are losing money. It serves them right.

 
At 6:31 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Each minute the TV is off, the advertisers are losing money. It serves them right./.

Sounds to me like you're biting off your nose to spite your face.

 
At 1:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not really. If I want to watch a show after I've turned off the cable broadcast, I've got lots of options like DVDs, blu-Ray disks and such. Not only that, but I've been known to spend quality time online.

I even have a lifetime supply of books in my home, so I never need to go without entertainment and intellectual stimulation.

So don't worry, Fred. My nose is still firmly affixed to the front of my face!

 
At 7:34 AM, Anonymous Chris Crawford said...

Fascinating tropic, Fred. Here are a couple of related news items to ponder ...

1. Cell phone connections now officially outnumber land lines in the US. They surpassed land lines in Europe and Asia a long time ago.

2. Congress is FINALLY taking up the issue of ramped up volume on TV ads. I'm not betting the farm that those knotheads will do anything constructive about the problem, but it the first time this issue is getting serious legislative review.

Happy new year, dude !!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home