Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Health Items

Disturbing, although I suppose understandable, results from a survey taken of some physicians. According to Medicus Firm, 24.7% of physicians surveyed said they'd retire early if a public option is included in the current health care "reform" proposals. An additional 21% said they'd quit medicine altogether.

Wow! I can understand, to some extent, but I have to wonder what some of those doctors would plan on doing if they quit medicine? Get a job as a cook somewhere?
******

At least one doctor thinks we might be getting too much medicine. I think he's got a point.
*******

I missed the Health Fair some of the local hospitals put on last month. If I'd had taken advantage of it, I could of had a full blood analysis done for $50.00. It cost me over $300.00 last time I paid for one out- of- pocket.

I have high triglycerides, not a good thing to have, so when I went to the see the practitioner a week or so ago, she wanted some blood work done. I told her I couldn't afford it at this time and might have to wait until next year.

The other day I started wondering how much it would cost just to get my cholesterol and triglyceride levels checked and not bother with all the other routine stuff. The St. Joe's Hospital lab said it would be over $100.00 and didn't seem concerned that I didn't have a physician referral already. I did tell her I shouldn't have much of a problem getting one.

I called Quest Labs in Eureka next. The lady there said it was around $70.00 and then asked if I had a physician referring me to which I said I didn't, at least at this time. She said it was a violation of state law for them to accept people for blood draws without a physician referral.

WHAT? So, to get my cholesterol checked, I might have to not only pay them $70.00, but pay $65.00 to see a physician for a referral? Just another example of government out- of- control, as I see it.

After all, what difference does a physician make when they can draw the blood and give me the results. I can read the results myself. One more way that government tends to make health care more expensive.
*******

Then I got to thinking and wondered if there was any way to home test my blood. I found one cholesterol and triglyceride test at Walgreens. That one (already lost the link) had 2 not- so- good reviews from users. Unreliable test results, so they said.

Then I found this one. For a bit over $25.00 you can take your own blood and send it to some lab. Then they mail you the results. Wonder if shipping is extra? Anybody have any experience with one of those home test kits?

Update: I decided to give that home blood test kit a shot. I guess they give you a postpaid envelope to send the sample to them in and shipping costs for the kit was just $1.99. Can't beat that. Read somewhere else that these home cholesterol tests were around 95% accurate. Good enough for me.

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 12:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My doctor favors Single Payer. I like my doctor. I think I'll keep my doctor and fire my Congressman.

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Ernie Branscomb said...

The Doctors that quit will probably become politicians, sell their votes to the corporations or the highest bidder, live happily ever after, while the rest of the country sinks into a deep dark, unrecoverable depression.

 
At 5:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ernie is right. Congress is on the verge of passing a bill that equals the total surrender of the public good to the forces of private (insurance company) greed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home