Thursday, March 11, 2010

The Journal: Downey vs. Hislop

The North Coast Journal's cover story this week looks at the race for Humboldt County Sheriff. I kind of got the impression the writer was favoring Hislop, but that might just be because Downey is a rather humble guy, from my limited experience. It's not in his nature to go around telling people how great he is.

Seems to me Hislop is doing everything he can to make a case for himself, and not doing very well at it. There just aren't that many widespread complaints about the Sheriff's Office, aside from those we've been hearing over the last 35 years I've lived up here. The primary complaint being lack of deputies in the field.

I think Hislop's making another bad move in bringing up money being shuffled around within the Sheriff's Office budget. Truth be told, most agencies (and households) move money around within their budgets to cover shortfalls, as needed. It wouldn't surprise me if the District Attorney's Office has done the same thing a time or two.

Hislop is certainly the underdog in the race and I was surprised to see that brought up on the Humboldt Herald. Wasn't he supposed to have had a fundraiser at Babetta's, in Eureka a couple weeks ago? I see no mention of that on his Facebook page as there was with the earlier "standing room only" event at Big Louie's. Might it have been a flop?

It seems to me Hislop's pretty much spinning his wheels with this campaign. I'm wondering if he should cut his losses and just give it up?

Labels: ,

8 Comments:

At 8:44 AM, Anonymous Heraldo said...

Hislop's website doesn't include any list of endorsements. But Downey can claim bigwigs from the whole political spectrum as his supporters. There doesn't seem to be much of a race here.

 
At 9:08 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yep, and although the bigwigs are nice to have, I'd prefer more local names. I thought it was a bit silly that Gallegos is using endorsements from D.A.'s from neighboring counties that probably hardly know him.

In full disclosure, I've suggested to the Downey campaign that they get up a page of local folks and lower end politicos that are endorsing him. It should be impressive, but we'll never know if they don't put up a list.

And I'm still dying to see what kind of list Hislop can put together, if only to see who ends up on it.

 
At 4:06 PM, Blogger Rose said...

I like Downey, and like Heraldo, I see a huge group of supporters from all over the spectrum. It's pretty cool, actually.

 
At 4:08 PM, Blogger Rose said...

I do think Gallegos and Hislop could open up a Cold Case Detective Agency - might be more fun than lawyering and Sheriffing. They might even be able to take the Ar-15s with them.

 
At 8:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There just aren't that many widespread complaints about the Sheriff's Office

Oh really?

What about the widespread allegations that Downey, Swithenbank and others within HCSO protect certain favored pot growing families? Sgt. Swithenbank is widely despised in So Hum where he grew up (allegedly) and where he can continue his high school grudges and favoritisms. If that's a word.

Downey is bad news!

 
At 7:15 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I've heard those same rumors since I moved up here over 35 years ago. Someone's always claiming someone in the Sheriff's Office is protecting someone.

 
At 4:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where there's smoke, there's fire!

 
At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

or somebody smokin something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home