Sunday, March 07, 2010

My Preliminary Slate

It's a bit early but, since Greg and Carol posted their preferences for the November election, I'll take a shot at how I'm looking at it:

Governor of California- Luckily, since Gavin Newsom left the race, we don't have any real flakes from the two major parties running. This is one of those rare moments I'm actually leaning toward Jerry "Moonbeam" Brown, the Democrat.

The problem is, having a governor and legislature dominated by one party historically sees government power and spending grow more than when the executive and legislative branch are split. I don't know that it would be wise voting for Brown for that reason alone. I'll likely just waste my vote on whoever the Libertarian Party candidate is.

Regardless of who ends up winning, it will be a nearly impossible task to put this state back together.

4th District Supervisor
- I'm with the Anyone But Bonnie camp, if only because I'm sick of the way she's been pandering to the fringe Left. I've told both Virginia Bass and Jeff Leonard they can place their signs in my yard. Not sure just how I'll vote in that one or whether I'll vote at all in that race.

5th District Supervisor- Not leaning either way in that race, yet, mostly because I haven't been following it much.

District Attorney
- I'm also in the Anybody But Gallegos camp in this race, although I think Gallegos' heart might be in the right place much of the time, I don't think he's really all that capable for that job. I'm leaning toward Allison Jackson but have some issues with her. She is clearly the most experienced and qualified candidate of those running.

County Sheriff- Mike Downey is clearly the most qualified from experience alone. I also think his laid back personality fits in better with both the Sheriff's Office and the county- at- large than Hislop would. He gets my vote.

U.S. Congress- Quite frankly didn't even think about this race until I saw it mentioned on Greg and Carol's blog. I'll once again likely vote for whoever the Libertarian Party candidate is, assuming someone ends up running.

If the Republicans can come up with some Ron Paul type candidate, which is highly unlikely, I might consider voting for him or her. If it's just another race between two statist candidates, I'll do as I often do and stand aside in that race.

U.S. Senate
- I'm backing Tom Campbell for the Republican nomination and, if he wins, I'll probably vote for him. If he loses, I may or may not vote for whoever the winner is. Then there's always the Libertarian Party candidate. I'll determine that later. Boxer won't get my vote and never has.

Labels:

17 Comments:

At 10:10 AM, Blogger Rose said...

I'm supporting Allison jackson.

And I'll be voting for Ryan Sundberg.

If i were in Eureka, I'd be with you in the anyone but Bonnie camp. It's not just pandering to the left in order to get elected, it is siding with the job-killers that is unforgivable.

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yeah. Sunberg sounds like the better choice if only because the fringe Left isn't supporting him. Not that I'll always differ from the fringe Left on everything but, if they're backing the other two, there must be something good about Sunberg.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger mresquan said...

"It's not just pandering to the left in order to get elected,"

So why did Virginia re-register as a democrat?
I agree with high finance over at the herald in that she seems to be doing quite a bit of pandering to the left.

 
At 12:46 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I suppose some might consider that to be just shrewd politics.

 
At 7:45 PM, Blogger Greg said...

Well-stated, Fred. I agree with some of it, too.

Job-killers? Who? What jobs?

Pandering to the left? Republicans have always known they need Democratic votes to win in Humboldt County.

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Local defense attorney Peter Martin made similar comments.
”I'm impressed that he does handle high-profile cases himself -- there's always some political risk in that,” Martin said, adding that he wasn't always a Gallegos fan.
Having spent 10 years as a deputy district attorney working under Gallegos predecessor, Terry Farmer, Martin said he was “obviously not a supporter” early in Gallegos' tenure in the DA's office. But, over time, Martin said he worked with Gallegos on several cases and walked away impressed.

 
At 8:37 PM, Blogger mresquan said...

"I'm leaning toward Allison Jackson but have some issues with her. She is clearly the most experienced and qualified candidate of those running."

Likely the most experienced and qualified at gutting libertarians of their most revered freedoms.After voting for her,I am sure we will continue to read about how upset you are that government continues to strip you of your freedoms,while you ponder why we let that happen.

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

What rights are you suggesting she's going to try to get rid of?

 
At 9:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Would go with Allison for DA. She was the person that read the sentence that outed Ralph Faust and Kirk Girard in the PL TPZ fiasco at the BOS. Girard and Faust were trying to convince the BOS that it could be thousands of houses under a "ministerial" plan which was not true and they both knew it. They ended the sentence in the law a little before it actually said that and she informed the BOS that they had been told the wrong thing. At least she can read the law and apply it in general circumstances.

 
At 1:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok Esquan, find me one case in which Jackson was found to have violated a civil right. Unless of course you
consider molesting children a fundamental right.

 
At 6:04 PM, Blogger mresquan said...

“I absolutely applaud Commissioners Gearhardt and Smith’s comments with respect to increasing the penalties for people building unpermitted because that is a problem that is not just on TPZ it’s on every single parcel in this county and really needs to be addressed. I don’t think doing that just on TPZ is going to do anything for enforcement.” — Allison Jackson, Nov. 15, 2007

 
At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

uh,moron, that's not a violation of civil rights, that's enforcing a rule you don't like.

 
At 9:22 PM, Blogger mresquan said...

It's a violation of one's protected freedoms.I've never stated that she violated any one's civil rights.

 
At 10:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And for Assessor let's vote Jon Brooks.

 
At 12:33 PM, Blogger Eric V. Kirk said...

What about the exciting Assessor's race? Can't they get no respect?!

 
At 12:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Allison Jackson is horrid and Hagen is probably the best candidate for DA.

Jerry Brown was an excellent governor. Do you like having beaches that members of the public can actually visit? Thank Jerry Brown for starting the Coastal Commission. Don't like pesticides on your grapes? Thank Jerry Brown for passing the Agricultural Labor Relations Act.

 
At 1:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoever Eric Kirk endorses loses my vote. Another horrid sleazy lawyer not to be trusted.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home