Saturday, April 10, 2010

Home Blood Test

Some of you might remember my mentioning a home blood test I found so you can test your blood for some things without paying hundreds of dollars.

Well, I tested it almost two weeks ago and got the results today. So, a little over 2 week turnaround time. About what I expected and not that bad considering I would of paid a minimum of a little over two times what I paid for the same test to have it done at one of the local labs.

Pretty neat how the test worked. You just use one of the auto needle injector things to prick the tip of your finger. Put about 3 drops of blood on the gauze filled sample card. Let it air dry for 60 minutes and put it in an airtight envelope with dessicant inside for shipping. They even provide a postpaid return envelope.

As for the results: Not as good as I'd hoped for, but it showed my triglycerides down from what they were before. In fact, almost half what they were last time. Hope it's accurate. I understand these tests are 95% as accurate as the "real" tests done in labs around here.

They make it sound like the tests can be used professionally on their web site, but on the Lab Report Form I found the following in small letters at the bottom:

These results are for screening purposes only. Do not use these results to diagnose or treat any condition. These results do not replace consultation and examination by a qualified physician...

Not sure how to read that since I am consulting a physician... well, kinda.

Still, seems to me these kits could be useful to folks like me that can't afford to casually pay $100.00 or more for a test like this. I think they're quite affordable and can be quite useful. Hey, if you can't afford regular blood tests, at least these tests might let you know if there's something you need to be looking at in regards your health.

I'm going to take the Crestor pills the NP gave me last time I went to the doc's office. That's supposed to lower cholesterol and tryiglycerides. After a few weeks I'll take the blood test again and see if there's any changes in my blood lipids. If not, than at least I don't have to worry about paying over $100.00 a month for a prescription for the damned stuff.

If it does lower my cholesterol, not sure what I'll do. I can't afford to pay that much a month for just one prescription.

The test is nice and inexpensive, though.

2 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Blogger "Bob" said...

Fred, I imagine you're against health care reform, but the situation you describe here is a fine argument as to why we need it (and not just health insurance reform). No one should have to worry about whether or not they can afford prescriptions, nor should people have to resort to DIY lab work. There's a reason they tell you it's for screening purposes only - the results are not reliable.

 
At 8:20 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

the results are not reliable.

You have no qualification to say that, Bob. They have to say it's for screening purposes because they have to cover for the "real" labs that do similar stuff for considerably more money.

No one should have to worry about whether or not they can afford prescriptions,....

So I'm actually on MediCal, yet I still pay my own way? MediCal/ MediCare is supposed to be your dream program, isn't it?

I've never yet seen one decent argument why putting the government in charge of all health care will make things less expensive or more affordable.

In fact, the Massachusetts state run health care program is seen as the model for this latest federal one. That's what Obama Care was based on, from what I understand. Premiums have gone way up since its inception.

Recently, the private insurance companies that are being forced to provide health coverage, have sued the state. It seems they can't provide coverage for the premiums they're being forced to accept.

I suspect it will be no different than your (Obama Care) plan.

I might add, it's interesting you find a much less expensive alternative to blood testing to be inferior to "real" blood tests. If everyone did blood tests through the "real" lab- as they do now- we'd be paying the price we're paying now.

So, the private market comes up with a less expensive alternative, but those wanting someone else to pay their health care costs insist on the more expensive option.

Figures.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home