Saturday, June 05, 2010

The Plastic Bag Ban

The California Watchdog has a good read on the latest effort in the state legislature to ban plastic shopping bags. I am sympathetic to the problem of those plastic bags ending up all over the place, but they do have other uses and are recyclable. The recycling centers aren't accepting them now but you can recycle by returning them to the store.

What really gets me about this latest proposal is it supposedly bans paper shopping bags, as well, if they're not made from recycled paper. Seems to me more than 500 jobs are at risk with here if you throw paper shopping bags into the mix.

7 Comments:

At 10:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred. This means the store has to pay the dump fees. Lets just get rid of the plastic bags and everyone start remembering to bring their own.

 
At 12:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If people buy their own organic cotton grocery bags, they will get cruddy between visits to the grocery store and spread disease. Mark my words!

 
At 12:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I swear, I've got to start reading your links BEFORE I snap off my clever comments.

It's a good link and I'm passing it around. Thanks!

 
At 9:39 AM, Anonymous brian said...

I don't see to many plastic shopping bags flaoting around. You know that you do see alot of, fast-food packaging. Man, that stuff is EVERYWHERE.

 
At 10:25 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I don't think I see as many floating around now as I did before stores were required to set up the recycling bins for them.

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger Ernie Branscomb said...

“It’s very unlikely that many animals are killed by plastic bags. The evidence shows just the opposite.”
So, why am I not surprised that SOME “environmentalists” would perpetrate a fraud. They should have to fill out an EIR proving that what they do would really improve the environment.

 
At 3:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good point, Ernie.

And about those hamburger wrappers and bags, the Corporations that produce them are TOO POWERFUL for any neighborhood or syndicate of neighborhoods in our nation to stop them from stopping up all our storm drains!

Hey, Chicken Little was right!

The Sky really IS falling!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home