Thursday, July 21, 2011

Eureka Streetsweepers Up Again?

The streetsweeper came by the house this morning. I think this is the second time in at least as many weeks. The first time I might have heard it but mostly noticed it because of the telltale sweep marks on the side of the street. This time I actually got up and looked and, sure enough, it was the streetsweeper.

You'll recall they stopped doing regular sweeping some time ago due to budget concerns. I'm wondering if they're starting regular sweeping again and, if so, why? Maybe it's just a temporary thing to make sure the sweeper doesn't fall apart from sitting idle?

I suppose it's nice to have them running but it really doesn't make much difference to me. I pick up the trash in front of my house regularly and find it kind of fun. The streetsweeper does get a lot of the leaves and other debris in the gutters I tend to ignore so I guess that's a plus.

7 Comments:

At 11:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wish people would pull/kill the damned weeds in their gutters/curbs. It looks like crap

 
At 2:17 PM, Anonymous Ryan Burns said...

The street sweepers are indeed up and running again, Fred. The City of Eureka is bringing in more money thanks to the 0.5 percent sales tax increase ushered in with the passage of Measure O.

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Ryan wrote, "The City of Eureka is bringing in more money thanks to the 0.5 percent sales tax increase ushered in with the passage of Measure O..

Oh. You mean the money that was supposed to be used for public safety stuff?

11:07 wrote, "I wish people would pull/kill the damned weeds in their gutters/curbs..

That's what Roundup is good for. I use it fairly often.

 
At 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Use a propane blowtorch. Hold the flame over any section of the sidewalk for 3 seconds and it kills the plant root. Way more effective than roundup which seems to only temporarily hold back the plant. Plus this is way more fun.

 
At 7:42 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Everything I've heard says that burning only top kills weeds, but each to their own. I've heard some use real hot water, too.

Round Up does kill the entire weed, although it can take a while. But talk about fun! Nothing more fun than watching those weeds slowly shrivel up and die after you spray them.

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Ryan Burns said...

Fred, Measure O specified that the tax revenues would be used "to fund essential services such as police, fire, medical response, street maintenance, environmental programs, zoo, parks and recreation."

 
At 6:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you use roundup make sure and do it while the sun is out and hitting the plant. I have noticed that when I use it when its foggy I often have to reapply because its like the plant doesn't absorb it or something. But yeah I agree Eureka sidewalks and gutters look like shit around here people need to clean up the areas in front of there homes. It actually doesnt take much to make it look 100 times better.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home