Monday, September 05, 2011

Giving Press+ A Try

I went ahead and bit the bullet the other day. I signed up for a $2.00 (actually $1.99) a month online subscription to the Times- Standard. I used up my 5 free story views and wanted to link to one for my last blog post so went ahead with paying.

Rather silly of me to use a link that so few others can use. Probably even sillier to pay $2.00 for it!

Press+ is the outfit/ application that manages online subscriptions. It seemed a little confusing to sign up for, at first. Maybe it was because I kept switching pages and confusing their system. Seems ok now since it recognized me this morning without having to log back in with them.

Link What I don't like is the subscription is limited to just the Times- Standard. I tried to view a story in the Ukiah Daily Journal (same parent company as the T-S) and was asked to pay another $2.00. I'd feel a lot better about this if the subscription fee covered more than one paper's web site.

Regardless, I'm not going to pay for access to the Ukiah Daily Journal. I just don't use it that much.

3 Comments:

At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's exceedingly easy to bypass the article limit. I did it without even trying. My default browser preferences handled it for me.

 
At 10:20 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

but that's not very honest.

 
At 11:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I should go out of my way to reconfigure my browser so that it will block my access to the site?

The web is an opt-out environment, unless you're pushed out. It means anything that is accessible to you is OK, you can choose to access it. The onus is on the website operator to block people if he or she wants to block people.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home