Friday, April 06, 2012

L.A. Times Goes Pay Site?

What the heck is going on with the Los Angeles Times?

I'd read a few weeks ago that they were changing their web site to pay- only. That's a bummer if only because I read stuff on their site fairly regularly. Sure enough, after a week or two you couldn't get to any of their news stories unless you "joined" the site, although they said it was just $1.00 a month to start.

I wasn't gonna pay it. After all, if I paid a dollar for every news site I frequent that would add up to some money. But I was bummed, especially when I'd see a title and a link that looked interesting only to click on it and get the "pay first" message.

Then a couple days ago that message went away. Now it's back to the way it used to be and I can read to my heart's content, unless this is just a temporary glitch. Or, maybe they decided the pay scheme wasn't working? I'm hoping for the latter.

4 Comments:

At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it might just be because they allow you to read a certain number of articles -- I think 5 -- per month for free. So your "count" might have just reset at the beginning of the month. I admit, though, that I didn't get the "pay" dialog box today, either. We can only hope that they came to their senses!

 
At 9:41 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I was wondering about that but didn't recall seeing any mention of a certain number of free visits on their pay message. I don't recall them saying it when they announced they were going to a pay site, either.

I'm also pretty sure I've viewed the site more than just a few times already this month if only to check out the pay/no pay issue.

We shall see. No mention of any web site issues I could find looking around their site.

 
At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, it all must have been either a glitch or an Easter weekend gift. After being able to freely click on articles all weekend long, today I once again am getting the "pay up" dialog box before I can access any article. Bye bye, LA Times ... it ain't worth the money to me!!

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I'll keep checking, but it just worked fine for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home