Saturday, June 02, 2012

Throwing Away Votes?

I believe this is the first piece I've read by Bryan Hyde. Heck, I think it's the first I've ever heard of him. It's one of the best arguments I've seen for voting on principle rather than partisanship. One of my favorites:

 "Columnist Vin Suprynowizc once asked his readers to imagine that they were citizens of the Weimar Republic in the 1930s. He asked them how they would want to address their grandchildren as they approached the end of their lives. Would they prefer to tell their families “They told us that our only choice was between the Nazis and the Communists. So I had to choose the lesser of the two evils”? Or would they rather say, “I refused to support either the fascists or the Bolsheviks. Because of this, I was shouted down, marginalized and abused for refusing to acquiesce, but I stayed true to my conscience and to my principles”?"

Hat tip to Gary Johnson's Facebook page. I'm getting some fun reads from links posted there.




2 Comments:

At 12:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Except it wasn't a choice between the Nazi Party and Communism. The Social Democratic Party was not communist, nor was it the Nazi party. The Democrats are the ones who lost power to the Nazi party.

 
At 4:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Excellent column. It's amazing that mankind can be smart enough to create all the technological miracles that we have while remaining ignorant enough to continue to buy all the political mythologies that have plagued our species for so long.

Maybe one day we'll outgrow all the childishness and live like truly intelligent creatures!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home