Sunday, July 01, 2012

Open Office: How Rude!

Some time ago I got rid of MS Office and installed Open Office, that free open source word processing program. I've generally been satisfied with it, until I downloaded the first upgrade yesterday. Now, every time I boot up the computer, Open Office starts.

HOW RUDE! I realize it's a free program but I can't imagine why anyone would want a word processing program to start on boot up? If anything, running on start should be an option, not the default. I didn't see anything on installation that gave the option of having it start on boot up. Maybe I missed it?

I've been trying to figure out how to make it stop. Found an Open Office icon in my start menu and thought I removed it by dragging it to the desktop (worried about registry errors if I deleted it). Nope. It still opens once the computer boots up. Can't find any reference to this in its Help section. Any suggestions?

4 Comments:

At 9:31 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Quoting a web forum:

"In Apache OO 3.4 the Quickstart pops up the AOO splash screen. This is a known bug and will be fixed for 3.4.1. If the Quickstart Autoload on startup is unchecked, Check it, exit OpenOffice and restart your computer (Power off, wait, then on). Now Uncheck your Autoload, exit OpenOffice and restart (Power off again). All should now be well, with no automatic splsh screen.

To be certain we are talking about the same thing, the sequence involved is
/Tools /Options /OpenOffice.org : Memory : OpenOffice Quickstarter : Enable Systray Quickstarter [Check or uncheck as required]."

Also check your startup folder:
Start button > All Programs > Startup

If OpenOffice is in your Startup folder, remove it.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Thanx. I'll give that a try.

 
At 11:07 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Thanx, Anon. Deleting it from All Programs>Startup did the trick. Never noticed that there before.

 
At 7:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous II said...

Leave it to Fred to bitch about something he got for free, because he can't figure it out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home