Saturday, November 03, 2012

More On McGovern

Another look back at the late George McGovern from the Future of Freedom Foundation. I love this part:

 There was a joke in the 1960s that went something like this: “In ’64, I was told that if I voted for Goldwater, we’d be at war in Vietnam. And they were right; I voted for Goldwater, and we went to war in Vietnam.” Well, a similar joke could have been made regarding the ’72 election: “In ’72, I was told that if I voted for McGovern, we’d retreat from Vietnam, the welfare state would expand, and the economy would tank. And they were right; I voted for McGovern, and we retreated from Vietnam, the welfare state expanded, and the economy tanked.”

For those that don't get the joke, both Goldwater and McGovern lost. Goes to show that campaign claims can meet reality in ways we might not expect.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home