Friday, October 25, 2013

The Sacramento Bee Does The Freddy

I've been having fits since the Sacramento Bee suspended comments to their online stories and commentary. Takes a lot of fun out of reading that paper because there's only half as much to read now. 

So I couldn't help myself when I read a letter to the editor to the Bee yesterday morning expressing the same sentiments. Since I couldn't write an approving comment online, I sent in a letter right away. It showed up on their web site before 4pm yesterday. Not sure if that means it will be in the hard copy. I'll assume it will.

I think they edited it a bit as it doesn't read quite the way I remember it.

3 Comments:

At 7:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You should know how the Bee or any other paper works - Anything you say or write WILL be edited, quoted, misprinted and then used against you.

 
At 8:17 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Not really true. The last two letters I sent to the Bee and the Times- Standard were published as I wrote them. If anything, the times I've noticed them edited, they actually made improvements by substituting words or removing unnecessary ones.

The Times- Standard deliberately didn't publish a letter of mine one time. They'd published at least three, maybe up to five, letters opposing Prop 23 a few years back. I wrote what I felt was quite a good one in support. I felt it was deliberately left out if for no other reason than there weren't a whole lot of election letters in the paper that time around.

Plus, if I complain about something like that here, I usually get a private e-mail from the T-S correcting me. I received an e-mail from them not long ago when I posted that they decided not to publish my Jefferson State letter telling me it would be published but there had been a delay. Nothing from them that time.

I sent that same letter to the Santa Rosa Press- Democrat. They published it, but only in the online "extra" election letters section.

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Here's a link to the post I made about my Prop 23 letter. From 2010:
http://tinyurl.com/n8dltv7

 

Post a Comment

<< Home