Monday, February 17, 2014

Old Hardware Store in Henderson Center

Not sure if it will do any good asking this here because even the wife can't remember and she's lived here her whole life:

I'm trying to remember what hardware store used to be on F Street in Henderson Center back in the late 70s? As I recall it used to be on the west side of F Street between Grotto and Harris Streets and took up 3 or 4 of the current business spaces there. Right about where the Bank of America branch is now.

I was thinking it was Ace Hardware, but maybe not. Connie suggested maybe it was Kress, or some such, but I don't recall a Kress in Henderson Center. Maybe it was?

Reason for wondering is I got to thinking of the first vacuum cleaner I ever had, which I believe I bought there. Problem is, I don't know that Ace Hardware ever sold vacuum cleaners. I also bought a bb gun there. I still have both the gun and the vacuum cleaner. 

The vacuum is a Eureka canister vac. Great little machine. I'm wondering if I can still get bags for it. I bought it as a result of my maggot attack emergency back around 78 or 79. Feel free to ask if you want to hear that story.

12 Comments:

At 8:15 AM, Blogger Randall Davis said...

I love the flow of this article. A almost suspenseful. Thank you for sharing.

 
At 8:21 AM, Anonymous HT said...

Sprouse-Reitz?

 
At 8:28 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

That rings a bell, but I'm not sure. What would be fun is to have a map that would show the progression of businesses in Henderson Center.

Did Sprouse- Reitz sell vacuum cleaners?

 
At 9:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jone's Variety Store was located near there..at the corner with the parking lot..not sure if they sold vacuum cleaners tho.

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I just remember the name of Jone's Variety. Can't picture it.

I asked the question on my Facebook page and Rose might have it right: Coast to Coast Hardware. Can't say for sure, but seems to me we had one of those in that spot an one point.

 
At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kress was in the Eureka Mall as well as downtown on F Street between 4th and 5th. You have stumped me and I go back to when Purity was in business before it became Food Mart and now Rite Aid.

 
At 9:17 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Neither Connie or I remember Purity but frequented Food Mart. Don't even get me started on Food Mart closing.

 
At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go to Humboldt Room at county library and look up the address in the 1970 City Directory, Eureka.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Rose said...

Coast-To-Coast?

 
At 2:27 PM, Anonymous Julie Timmons said...

McGharagan's (sp) used to be on that block , right? I'm afraid to visit it because I can see it draining away a lot of time but there is a FB page called "I remember Eureka when"" or similar, curated by Leon Warmuth. Might be something there. I have no recollection of the hardware store.

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I'm reminded by a Facebook Friend that Coast to Coast was taken over by True Value hardware. Maybe it was True Value in Henderson Center? I can't remember if they changed names while there.

I believe there was a True Value on Fourth Street in Eureka that closed not that long ago.

 
At 9:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Randall roped me in here. As I recall, Purity then became two stores...the pharmacy and Dick Adam's TV and Appliance. Sprouse Reitz and Proctor's shared the building that is now occupied by the cancer society.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home