Wednesday, February 19, 2014

The Freddy Going Down In Flames over Prayers?

The Times- Standard reports this morning on the lawsuit over Eureka City Council's prayer policies. Looks like I might end up being a double loser in this one.

The court already ruled in December that there wasn't a problem with religious invocations during city council meetings. I agree precedent supports such prayer. I just find them annoying and would like to see them done away with- sectarian, or not. So much for that, unless the next mayor changes policy.

Next is the attack on the Mayor's Prayer Breakfast. I support the Mayor's privilege to hold or attend pretty much any event chooses. Looks like they're working on an out of court settlement. I'll probably end up losing on that one, too.

I'm used to losing and wouldn't mind losing one or the other, just not both.

2 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

the First Amendment protects the people from the government forcing a religion on them it does not give the government the right to tell the people they cannot practice their own religion yet the government has been using the premise of the First Amendment to force religion out of all government facilities even when practicet by private individuals high school athletes have had trophies and awards taken away for praising God for their victories kids in grade school have been suspended for bringing a Bibles to school and valedictorians have been stripped of their title for simply thanking God in their speech I am NOT a religious person but I believe you should be able to practice your religion as long as you're not forcing it on other people.

 
At 9:45 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Agreed. I just find invocations at any government meeting- heck, anywhere- annoying and unnecessary. All those that enjoy their little prayer moment can do it before or after the meeting. Not as part of the meeting.

And I'm not claiming some first amendment issue. I'm just saying take the church stuff elsewhere, but that's just me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home