Thursday, March 13, 2014

Elan Firpo A Libertarian?

Our very own Rose Welsh seemed a bit annoyed over this short synopsis of the District Attorney candidates in the Times- Standard. She suggests the writer was bringing political parties into it. She is right that it is a non- partisan race, but all the guy did is point out Maggie Fleming is supported by some of the "old school Democrats". I didn't see much, if any, partisan intent to the letter.

I am curious why the writer senses Elan Firpo to be a libertarian? If someone could make a good case in that regard, that would certainly have some pull with me.

I was going to wait, but I'll go ahead and give my own brief synopsis of the candidates. I'll try to be nice:

Arnie Klein- I agree that Klein seems to have the most experience on the prosecution side. He comes off as a bit eccentric to me. That, coupled with his age, puts him near the bottom of my list. Hate to be an age bigot but I'm not sure a 70 year old guy could handle what by most accounts is the mess he'll be dealing with if elected.

Allan Dollison- I've made it well known I dislike Allan Dollison. I might go so far as to say it's personal. Leaving the personal stuff aside, though, I feel he's a philosophical authoritarian. It seems clear to me, after reading his Facebook page for months, that he is an admirer of state power and those that enforce that power. Certainly not someone I'd support for any position.

That aside, he's also quite enamored of his military duties. I'd expect him to continue his frequent reserve military forays so he'd likely not put in anywhere near as much time as needed in the challenging position of District Attorney. He is last on my list.

Elan Firpo- Easiest on the eyes of all the candidates, if she is a libertarian- even a closet one- that could certainly sway me. She seems competent enough. Complaints about her recent plea bargains could likely also be made against the same people making those complaints. She's in the top two.

Maggie Fleming- Hard to ignore the diversity of her endorsements. They're from all over. I'd say that's a good sign. I know little about her but some others who I respect are backing her, although I don't know their specific reasons. She's also in my top two.

With me it's between Fleming and Firpo.

10 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, having narrowed your choices to the two Ladies- Fleming and Firpo, Should the determining factor be most valuable experience, or "easiest on the eyes" ?
Obviously, one would hope that voting for a public office wasn't revolving around the promo pics, but it has, in the past, been a topic of concern for our vain County... Having acknowledged that, I would like to dispute your top pick for the Best Promo Pic. Clearly, natural beauty is preferable, which would therefore only leave the alternative female candidate, Maggie Fleming, to take the award for best lookin' candidate. That's all I'm gonna say about that.
Seriously though, Firpo has only been a prosecutor for at best five years, and has very little administration experience to speak of in context of inter-departmental politics, policy development and execution, or personnel management in our county courthouse and local institutions that work interdependently...
As opposed to Fleming, who's Facebook page impressively demonstrates much experience with administration within the justice system. What I find enticing is that not only has she plenty of experience here in Humboldt County as a prosecutor (wow- 120+ jury trials! ...Compared to how many from Firpo?), but she also has worked outside of our area and therefore has seen other criminal justice models in action. This is an important factor to consider, as opposed to a candidate who has only been molded from the existing standards and routines we are coping with here currently in our DA's office.
Fleming has the experience and the reputation (as I've deduced from the extensive list of widespread endorsements on her FB page) and has ideas and motivation to implement new constructs of policy to affect change in our county.

 
At 11:53 AM, Anonymous MOLA:42 said...

I COULD recommend looking at the MOLA:42's Guide to the DA's Race in the Tuluwat Examiner but that would be crass self promotion and I'd NEVER do that.

I got standards, y'know?

(Besides, it's really not much help anyway)

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Steve Lewis said...

Readers may recall that when candidates first announced, the resident biomysic predicted Maggie Fleming would be elected and Firpo never recovering from her first bad decision to let Salzman anywhere near her campaign. The second one costs her the election.

 
At 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:12 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Above comment deleted by me. Gratuitous insults not allowed here.

 
At 4:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Commenting on the attractiveness of a female candidate is in and of itself a gratuitous insult.

 
At 4:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You old fart.

 
At 6:33 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Commenting on the attractiveness of a female candidate is in and of itself a gratuitous insult.

Nope. Compliments are always accepted here.

 
At 2:34 PM, Anonymous liberal jon said...

Yes, read and stopped reading once the EOE comment made.

Sexist and wrong. (But, I will say, more at home in the conservative wing than the liberal one IF we were allowed only one spectrum. I know, I know, it's not left and right, it's left, right, up and down.)

 
At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dollison is Dangerous
On or about 09/24/1997 Dollison intentionally prepared a FALSE Notice of Ruling for a Motion to Set Aside a Default Judgment obtained against his client, Ms. Maisterra. Dollison never filed the motion. Dollison then forged the signature of the Plaintiff’s attorney, Anthony Head, on the FALSE Notice of Ruling for the Motion to Set Aside the Default Judgment as well as the Proof of Service, which Dollison never filed. Dollison was paid by the client to perform the promised work, and was found to have never earned the fees and failed to return the funds. The State Bar Court found that Dollison had committed not less than 6 acts of dishonesty in this single case. But there is more!
On or about 08/22/1997 Dollison was hired to file a bankruptcy petition, the Cruz matter, Dollison cashed the two checks he was given by Cruz. Dollison never returned any of the Cruz telephone calls, and never filed the bankruptcy paperwork. Dollison abandoned his client, and moved out of his office without making contact with his clients. Dollison was found guilty of willful failure to communicate with his clients and failure to return unearned fees.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home