Saturday, April 19, 2014

Top 15 Small Cities In California

Cities Journal has come up with their picks for the top 15 small cities in California. Arcata is number 15. Healdsburg (yuck!) gets #1. They seem to be taking the yuppie approach in their grading. Still, I was surprised to see Dunsmuir #14 and Montegue #7 among their choices. 

My pick would be Catalina Island's, Avalon #11. Spent less than a week there as a kid but loved the place. They don't mention that the water around Avalon has been rated the most polluted in the state- their aging, leaking sewer system being the cause.

Funny that I consider Arcata a town, but Eureka a city. Wonder where you draw the line between calling a place a city as opposed to a town?

3 Comments:

At 10:20 AM, Anonymous Julie Timmons said...

Healdsburg is one of the few places I'd choose to live in over here. Great small-town feeling plus all those amenties.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

That doesn't surprise me.

 
At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My parents were shocked by the number of homeless people in downtown Arcata. They were shocked again when one of the homeless men they pointed out to me was actually the mayor. This was a few years ago.

I'm in the process of moving to Oregon because California's schools are chronically starved of funding. Much of the country is no place to raise a family.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home