Wednesday, June 04, 2014

Annoying Election Stuff

At least a couple things during this campaign season that annoy me:

Too many mailers. Maybe not so bad this time around. We got quite a few from the Bass campaign. Only one from Kerrigan. It's like they think of mailers as shouting and that if they shout at me loud and often enough I'll vote for the candidate. 

Rattling off endorsements during candidate forums. Nothing wrong with putting whatever endorsements you have on a campaign page or a mailer. Endorsements- and who is making them- tells me something about the candidate. It still seems cheap to rattle off a bunch of names in candidate forums, televised or not.

Two candidates come to mind this last time. Mike McGuire, running for state senate, rattled off a bunch of big names at the end of the League of Women Voters' KEET TV forum. He's the last guy I'd vote for in that race and the names he gave were ones I pretty much loathe anyway, with some exceptions. Seemed tacky, regardless. 

Virginia Bass, who I voted for, did the same thing. She rattled off many of the same names McGuire did. Yuck! It just seemed cheap to throw that out at the end of the forum. Maybe it's just me?

Robocalls. Yep, I hate them too. I don't recall getting any this time. Hope it stays that way. As if I'm actually going to sit there and listen to the whole recording? Read some letters in the Santa Rosa Press- Democrat recently stating they won't vote for candidates that send out robocalls. That's something more candidates, and voters, might consider.

Signs. I'm a little annoyed by campaign signs despite being one who often puts them in his own yard. Nobody seems to know what I'm talking about when I say they're like people yelling at you as you drive by: "Vote for Kerrigan!", "Vote for Bass!". I just get blank stares whenever I bring that up.

Signs do have their interesting side. You get to know who some of the flakes are in your neighborhood by the signs they have. I never realized how many flakes live near me until the last few weeks when I saw all the Kerrigan signs up.

If you didn't take your signs down last night. Please go do it now.

4 Comments:

At 7:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't watch TV, and only read Internet-based news. I only received local mailers and local campaign calls, so I was a little surprised by my gaps in knowledge about statewide news when I saw the size of the ballot. Yeah, I didn't know there was a gubernatorial race.

 
At 10:15 AM, Blogger Julie Timmons said...

Real classy of you, Fred, to refer to those who support a different candidate as "flakes".

 
At 12:17 PM, Anonymous liberal jon said...

Agreed JT. This is how that article read to me in retrospect. blah, blah, etc. "Kerrigan supporter = flakes".

I was interested until Fred buried the lede.

 
At 1:18 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I knew that would get a rise out of some of you. Julie? Laura? Nothing from you two?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home