Monday, June 02, 2014

Cola For The Real Young'uns?

This is one of those things that show up on my Facebook page every now and again. I'm getting to wonder if it's a spoof as I don't recall ever seeing an ad like this when I was younger. Maybe it was before my time?

If you can't read the text below "How soon is too soon?", it's,

"Not soon enough. Laboratory tests over the last few years have proven that babies that start drinking soda during that early formative period have a much higher chance of being accepted and "fitting in" during those awkward pre- teen and teen years. So do yourself a favor. Do your child a favor. Start them on a strict regimen of sodas and other sugary carbonated beverages right now, for a lifetime of guaranteed happiness."

Reads like a parody to me, but maybe back in the day maybe they did run ad like this?

Just received this comment from the FB page I saw this on:  "I believe it's a touched up photo, as in those years, little ones were not allowed to drink coke, let alone advertised to children to drink coke.".

 She makes a point. This looks to be circa 1950s to 60s. Didn't Coca Cola have actual cocaine in it back then? 

3 Comments:

At 7:30 AM, Blogger AJ said...

It's a spoof ad.

Source, the guy who created it: http://rjwhite.tumblr.com/post/472668874/fact-checking

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Thanks. Yeah, I'm starting to see more FB comments explaining it being a spoof.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Julie Timmons said...

Cocaine was dropped as an ingredient back in the '20s. Up through the 1950 cigarettes were being advertised as GOOD for you.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home