Sunday, June 08, 2014

Cornerstone Computers, Part 2

We thought the computer was fixed but the problem re- occurred. It worked fine after we brought it back Thursday and all day Friday. Saturday morning I turned it on and the monitor just flickered. I tried turning the power off and on. Nothing. At least Cornerstone Computers was open Saturday's from 10 to 6. I was bummed having to go back in there, never mind having the computer down again.

Drove over to their shop and apologized for them having to see me again. I explained the problem. They told me to go ahead and bring it inside and bring the monitor, too, if I had it. I had brought the monitor this time. They also told me they did some stress tests on the video card when I'd taken it in earlier and nothing seemed wrong.

I left it there figuring I might not hear from them until at the very least Monday. I'm worried this could end up costing the $200.00 plus I thought it might cost earlier.

I get a call from them around 4pm saying they've run both the computer and monitor for some time, turning it on and off, plus a diagnostic on the monitor and it's working fine. They can't find a problem. He did suggest that perhaps the whatever-it's-called adapter that adapts the monitor cable to the video card might be defective. A long shot, but who knows?

I drove back to Cornerstone. They put the tower and monitor back on the table and started them up. Everything worked fine. How weird. I went ahead and bought another of the connection adapters just in case that might be the problem, or part of it. Only $6 and change, so no biggie. They didn't charge me for any of their diagnostic work earlier in the day. What a bunch of guys! They very well could have.

Brought the computer home, hooked it up with the new adapter and it booted right up with the monitor working fine. Same thing this morning. Who knows what it will do next time? If it does it again, I figure next step is to buy a new monitor. If that doesn't fix it, then it's time for a new computer. 

While you're filling out the North Coast Journal's Best of Humboldt 2014 runoff quiz, please join me in voting Cornerstone Computers as best computer store. After doing that, if you've been to Cornerstone Computers, be sure and give them a good Yelp review as I and some others have.

4 Comments:

At 9:59 AM, Blogger Chris L. said...

I've been there twice, and was very happy with their shop. They were knowledgeable, friendly and extremely fair. Great shop, and a local business worthy of our support.

 
At 10:14 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Yep. I'd hate to see it become another empty storefront. Would be quite a loss, thus my plug.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger Julie Timmons said...

I have never had anything but superb service from them. CC rocks.

 
At 3:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are on the shopping show, including this SA/6/14/2014: 106.3FM radio 8 am till noon.

http://www.theshoppingshow.net/dir/Services/Cornerstone_Computers-1714-11-1-0.html
Cornerstone Computers

If it involves a computer, Cornerstone Computers has a solution, repair, or service to match your needs. From tune-ups and virus removals to full networking and solder work, they can do it! Coupons are good for in-store services.

437 Henderson St.
Eureka, California 95501
USA

View map / route

Phone: (707) 442-9998

Hours:

Coupon Value: $50.00

Restrictions: Limit 2 coupons per service. Not good for retail products.

Classification(s)

Services

 

Post a Comment

<< Home