Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Eureka Shopping Cart Ordinance Passes

John Chiv reports the proposal making it a misdemeanor to take shopping carts without the store owners' approval was passed unanimously (Mayor Frank Jager absent) by the Eureka City Council. This subjects those who take the carts to possible jail time among other things. I agree with the one comment to Chiv's post:

"Most of the people who push shopping carts around are homeless. In what world does the Council think the homeless can pay a fine? They will end up getting arrested for failure to pay and released due overcrowding in the jail due to AB 109". - Michael Adams

We have enough trouble keeping more serious criminals in jail, and we want to clutter the jails up with the homeless? Never mind there were already legal sanctions available for shopping cart thieves. I don't know if there is a real solution to the problem but this isn't it. 

I do think the stores need to take more responsibility. There is technology available that can disable shopping carts if they go beyond a certain distance from the store. Maybe they could give that a try?

I'd meant to mention this to Councildude, Mike Newman, when he'd stopped by my house on campaign business but it slipped my mind. I believe it was his proposal. It's not one he should be proud of.

7 Comments:

At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The point is to keep arresting, citing and releasing people until they decide it's easier to leave the area (to another local town, most likely).

This is an anti-McKinleyville ordinance more than anything else.

 
At 4:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I see a lot more strollers than shopping carts.

 
At 5:03 PM, Blogger Rose said...

Just ban shopping carts. Like plastic bags. Who needs 'em. You don't need more than you can carry anyways, right?/

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"I see a lot more strollers than shopping carts."

Me, too, although I've been given the impression that most of the shopping carts end up down by the bay where all the homeless hang out.

I actually had one I had to deal with a few years ago. It was back when Winco had orange carts.

One ended up on the sidewalk in front of my house for some time. I figured I was heading in the area of Winco so would throw it in my truck and take it back to them.

Not as easy as I expected. Those carts aren't easily picked up and thrown in a truck as I would have thought, but I took care of it. Would have been nice to have someone come out from Winco and thank me for returning the cart. :-(

 
At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is a much more effective ordinance the city council could have passed. They simply require a cart restraint system be installed on the shopping carts. That usually means replacing one wheel with a wheel that locks if someone tries to push a cart out of the parking lot. It applies to all retailers, not just those with 25 carts of more. The large retailer puts in the system and the smaller retailers piggy back off it only having to buy the wheels. The retailer end up saving the cost of the system because they don't have to replace carts any longer. No paperwork, no fines and it solved the problem in our city.

 
At 12:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Theft of carts should be punished.
The homeless should not be able to get a free pass.

 
At 12:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Theft is theft.
The homeless should not be given a free pass.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home