Tuesday, October 28, 2014

A Sun Caused Outage?

Most of us have heard of the communications outage of last night that affected cell phones and internet, among other things. Latest word is it's being blamed on a cell tower problem. It didn't seem to bother us at our house

What we have had problems with lately is satellite TV. For at least the last week, maybe longer, we've had intermittent interruptions of some TV shows on Dish Network. Jeopardy was the most noticeable. All of the sudden it would freeze up for a few seconds. Kinda like when you're watching a video online and it just stops, except the picture would eventually get all broken up.

Last night it seemed to come to a head, strangely enough when the other outages were happening. At least two channels went black. Eventually a message showed up saying they were aware of the problem and were working on it. 

I wondered earlier on if it might have something to do with solar flares, or something along that line? After reading about this big sunspot and its resulting solar flares, I'm wondering if maybe it did have something to do with the sun? Anybody else have problems with satellite TV lately?

1 Comments:

At 1:04 PM, Blogger Tom Sebourn said...

I had to change cell phones yesterday. After a weekend of sketchy service, my Droid razor just died. Verizon couldn't bring it back to life. After I got my backup cell up an running, the old one came to life for no apparent reason. I put it into a metal can and stuck it on a shelf. I can't take the battery out of it and I didn't want it interfering with the recent change. It's been in there now for 18 hours so it should be good and dead by today.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home