Monday, October 20, 2014

Faro Hounds

I was out at Happy Dog Kennels on Jacob's Avenue Saturday. The first thing I see in the front dog run was what I thought at first were deer- reddish brown, long legs and big ears. A closer look showed it to be two dogs of a kind I've never seen before. There was an adult and a younger one.

I was intrigued. I was thinking maybe some kind of greyhound? I went into the office before I left and asked what breed of dog they were. The guy told me they were Faro Hounds, supposedly with origins in Egypt. More properly called Pharaoh Hounds, but a Google search for Faro Hounds worked. The kennel worker said they were the first he'd seen, too.


Pretty interesting looking dogs, but from what little I've read about them it seems their origins might be from Malta and not Egypt. Anyone else ever seen a Faro Hound?

2 Comments:

At 9:27 AM, Blogger Julie Timmons said...

What a cool-looking dog! I like hounds.

 
At 10:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred, I believe one the young Pharaoh Hound you saw is now missing/stolen!!
Psychiatrist, Dr Gail Ingram, has been living at the Redwood Riverwalk Hotel in Fortuna for the past several weeks with her 2 dogs, while on contract working the ER at Sempervirens Hospital. At about 1:30am on Wednesday (11/19/14) morning while taking one of her dogs out for a walk, her 5 month old Pharaoh Hound puppy, Saqqara, slipped passed them and out the door. Saqarra ran out and around the building. In the 3-5 minutes it took for Dr Ingram to get to the Riverwalk 76 Gas Station next door, Saqqara had disappeared. Witnesses on site claim to have seen Saqqara being picked up by a young 20 something white couple in a white Jeep with a tire on the back. A police report is being filed and surveillance cameras at the gas station will be reviewed but at this time we desperately need help to find Saqqara, she could have been taken anywhere as this gas station is just off of 101, between the 12th Street and Kenmar extis. Saqqara is part of Dr Ingram's family and she is doing all she can to find these people to have Saqqara returned. Saqqara is microchipped and the lost report has been activated. If you know of this couple that found Saqarra or have any information, please call Dr Ingram 808-679-8900 or the local police. There is a reward for her safe return.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home