Monday, November 03, 2014

Not Expecting Much Tuesday

I'm pretty much with my internet buddy (*and inspiration for this blog), Tom Knapp. I'm not expecting much from Tuesday's election. Certainly at the state and national level, although some bad things could happen locally.

Even if the Republicans do take the senate it won't mean much. As Tom points out, gridlock doesn't really mean much anymore:

"All things considered, I do prefer "gridlock" -- if one party controls the White House, I want the other party to control at least one house of Congress but fall short of controlling veto-proof majorities in both houses.

But frankly, gridlock ain't what it used to be. The two parties get along far too well in my opinion. And both parties tend to roll over far too easily for the president, especially so far this century. I'm pushing 50 and I'm having trouble remembering an election as obviously and completely inconsequential as this one."

Tom expands those thoughts at the Center for a Stateless Society.

~~~~~~
*So how did Tom inspire this blog? Back in the day, when the Libertarian Party had a number of state and national e-mail lists, Tom and I were both active contributors to some. There was regular back and forth on any number of issues. I enjoyed his thoughts and reasoning and we kinda became internet buddies, although we've never met in person.

One day he announced the start up of his blog, The Knappster. I don't recall if he gave his reasons for starting the blog but it's just his observations on various national issues, the Libertarian Party and whatever.

I started thinking it might be fun to do the same sort of thing myself, but I wanted to deal more with local stuff. It took me a while to take the plunge. I see his first post was made in October 2004. My first post here was made in March 2005.

From a virtual unknown to a famous local blogger, all in less than ten years.

2 Comments:

At 9:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Fred, Curious about your thoughts as a thoughtful Libertarian on the state propositions and the county measures. Care to weigh in?

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I actually made a couple posts on that back towards the beginning of October- October 2 to 5 to be more specific.

You can check the archives, select October 2014 and it will take you back there. Scroll down to get to the beginning of the month. Archives are listed on the right sidebar of this blog towards the bottom.

Just to point out two propositions, 1&2, I voted Yes on both of them. I'm not sure I'd still do that if I hadn't already voted. I might have just left them blank. No problem, though, as overall I thought they were ok.

Eureka's Measure Q I voted No on.
County Measure Z I didn't vote on.

My explanations, such as they were, can be found in the above mentioned archives.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home