Sunday, November 02, 2014

The Heater Is On

I finally turned the thermostat back on after it being off since probably just before summer. That might be a record for us waiting until November 2. It had been chilly at least a couple mornings recently, but the weather forecast was for relatively warm days so I left it off.

This morning I had to turn the clock on the thermostat back an hour. Since it was chilly, anyway, I figured that's a good enough excuse to turn the thing back on. And turning it on doesn't necessarily turn the heater on.

As chilly as it was in the house when I got up, though, I was leery about dealing with it right then. We've had problems in the past with the pilot light going out from a plugged nozzle. What if the heater didn't come on but the fan did? That means cold air blowing into the house from outside, so I held off.

Once the sun was up I figured I should give it a try. I changed the clock- no small effort as we'd kinda forgot how- and flicked the switch to On. Within a minute or two we could hear the fan come on, then the house started warming up. Nice to know it's working and feel the house warm up a bit. 

The problem was it came on probably three times since then. When I hear the fan blowing I just see dollars floating through the vents. Hate worrying about the utility bill. It's nice having the house warm, but maybe I should have left it off? Nah. I'll leave it on..for now.

2 Comments:

At 12:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good idea to clean the pilot light housing out if the heater has been inactive for a good while. Compressed air is best for that. Less danger of fire caused by cobwebs igniting. Not to mention the burning spiders scurrying about.

 
At 12:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home