Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Marco Rubio Announces

Cuban- American Senator from Florida, Marco Rubio, threw his hat in the ring for the Republican presidential nomination yesterday. No surprise it wasn't covered by Channel 3 News. Reason magazine takes a short look at, among other things, his War Party and anti- Cuba credentials. 

He doesn't impress me at all now, but the first time I heard from him some years ago I was pretty stoked. I heard him on the radio addressing a crowd in Florida. The theme of his chat seemed to be things his mother taught him. He went on to say (as best I can remember): 

"There's one thing my momma never told me. She never told me, if we could just take what those people over there have, we'd be fine. My momma never told me that. She told me if I worked hard and made my own way, I could make my own fortune...".

I thought that was so cool and relevant as you'd hear that sort of thing from The Left over and over again, even here in the local blogosphere. Comments on the now defunct Humboldt Herald used to echo that theme of taking from others, usually the rich (or whoever was in the next highest tax bracket), so that was pretty neat. Almost as if hearing myself talking, at least on that issue.

But I would never vote for him.

6 Comments:

At 9:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nobody cares Fred

 
At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rubio has finally officially announced he's running after a multitude of prior comments suggesting he's running. Great. Why is this newsworthy? We already knew he was running, just like Clinton.

 
At 10:55 AM, Blogger Julie Timmons said...

Lightweight.

 
At 12:35 PM, Anonymous Liberal Man On Bike said...

"She told me if I worked hard and made my own way, I could make my own fortune"

Problem is Fred, those with money and capital are gaming the system so you can work hard and get nowhere. A perfect example is the minimum wage which cannot pay for a life or a family in Eureka. One example of thousands.

The system is gamed against labor and for capital. It's what one would expect given our economic system. The evidence is out there, but the tired and hackneyed old wives tales, such as pulling yourself up by your boot straps, die hard.

Please explain to me how we solve the problem of income (and wealth) inequality b/c it's obscene and getting worse, not better.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2011/02/income-inequality-in-america-chart-graph

What the left understands, which you and Marco can't get is that sometimes it's about we. Me is important, don't get me wrong - but we also have to pay attention to we and saying work harder or actually working hard isn't always going to work, especially when the game is rigged. Which it is. (See R in Eureka as an example of why and how.)

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

And what many on the Left don't understand is you can't expect to work at a minimum wage job all your life- at a fast food place, for instance- and buy a house, or raise a family. You need to work your way up to bigger and better things.

BTW; this new spam filter on blogspot where you have to pick out certain pictures SUCKS!

 
At 5:09 PM, Anonymous Liberal Man On Bike said...

"you can't expect to work at a minimum wage job all your life- at a fast food place, for instance- and buy a house, or raise a family. "

This is not always possible. Disability (mental/physical), bad luck, bad economic cycle, a million and one reasons why.

So the libertarian/conservative answer is S.O.L. and if you didn't make it, you were not trying hard enough. Check out Catholic Charities and catch you on the rebound.

OK, but then what about the obscene wealth generated in our country - and it is obscene under any standard.

Back in 1776 we may have agreed that this rule by inheritance is not something we wanted to be ruled by. But somehow, through a little Reagan and Rand rhetoric you have been swayed that a system of, for and by the wealthy is OK.

Lot's of rhetorical work to be done here. I better pull up my boot straps and get back to work.

Yes, thank you, blogger sucks. Try Wordpress.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home