Monday, April 13, 2015

Shame On KIEM TV News

It's safe to say many, if not most of us, feel local media leans to the left. You would think, though, they'd have the sense to be a bit less obvious about it.

KIEM Channel 3 News went a bit overboard last night as far as I'm concerned. I can't complain about them mentioning the start of Hillary Clinton's campaign for president, although that could hardly be considered news. Did anyone have any doubt she would? What got me was instead of using news file footage or some such for video, they ran her first campaign TV ad in its entirety- an obvious plug for Hillary. 

And I notice they didn't include that segment in the News section of their web site. Not sure if that means anything by itself, but perhaps it's something they're not too proud of?

Shameless, as far as I'm concerned. If I had any say in the goings on at KIEM TV, heads would roll over that one.
*********
That's not the first shameless plug I've seen in local media. I wrote here years ago about the North Coast Journal essentially loaning itself to Obama's first campaign. 

The publisher ran three articles about the Obama campaign. One about her traveling out of state to help out. Then another one on the head gal of the local Obama campaign and why she was doing it. That one might have actually made a good story if she'd included other candidates, their local campaign workers and what was motivating all of them, but it was all about Obama. I forget what the third one was about, but let those go. They were obvious plugs for Obama, yet subtle enough for the most part I didn't feel it fair to comment. The fourth one was too much.

A cover story on Obama, with an illustration of him on the cover. The story itself was a 2000 to 2500 word oped by Tom Hayden telling why Obama would be a "transformational leader". I might not have commented on that one, either, had she not had Obama on the cover. After all, she does have the right as owner to publish opinion pieces. Trying to disguise them as news, though, or using Obama as the cover story for a local magazine was over the top.

Shameless, and heads should have rolled at the North Coast Journal, too, except it was the boss that did it.

18 Comments:

At 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ummm....Doesnt that make you shameless too? Aren't you a part of the local media now? By your standards, you shouldn't be partisan at all. Yet you act very very partisan. The title of your blog even shows your partisan bias!

 
At 8:24 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Not at all. I'm a commentator- a pundit, if you will. I do commentary. Even when I post about news items,unlike some others, I only post to comment on the subject itself, not report news.

This blog is all about me, me, ME...and my opinions on things. Not giving you the news.

 
At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, if only the world were so simple. The media has come to the point where every source is now considered opinion. Conservatives claim MSNBC is liberal opinion TV. Liberals claim FOX is conservative opinion TV. Way more people get their "news" from comedians like Jon Stewart than watch local "news".

Face it, you are part of the media by being a blogger. And a shameless partisan one, by your own admission .

 
At 9:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nobody cares Fred

 
At 9:09 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"And a shameless partisan one, by your own admission ."

Why you can't see the difference between what's supposed to be news and subjective commentary is beyond me. I certainly am opinionated but one thing I don't think I am is partisan, unless partisan means taking one side over another. I do take sides, but not often the same side.

Taking the same side, as those who take the D or R side regardless of the issue, is what I call partisan. I'm an equal opportunity put downer.

 
At 9:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Dem will win CA regardless.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Partisan= Hillary Clinton sucks. John McCain is great.

Non- Partisan, equal opportunity put downer like me= Hillary Clinton is a vile person. So is John McCain. I wish them both the worst.

 
At 10:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee, Fred, how did you find out about Rand Paul's GOP presidential announcement- Tea leaves? And Ted Cruz.

So, what bothered your fevered senses was that KIEM-TV actually used her announcement ad footage instead of some "file footage" involving BenGhazigate, no doubt.

I notice that in the free Redwood Times, affiliated by the Times Standard they quite often run negative cartoons about Obama. Very rarely the majority GOP led Congress, if at all. I guess that makes the TS and RT partisan hacks, huh?

It's all very simple: Anything that isn't FOX is liberal. Period, end of transmission.

 
At 11:58 AM, Blogger Julie Timmons said...

" I don't think I am is partisan, unless partisan means taking one side over another." Yes, Fred, that's exactly what it means.

 
At 1:28 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"... what bothered your fevered senses was that KIEM-TV actually used her announcement ad footage instead of some "file footage" involving BenGhazigate,"

It wasn't her announcement they showed. It was a campaign TV commercial in its entirety.

Cartoons are generally used for political opinion. You see them regularly on the editorial pages. Nothing wrong with that.

" Fred, that's exactly what it means.".

So, yesterday when I gave Obama Kudos for his Cuba policy, I was a Democrat partisan? When I said Hillary is vile and I wish her the worst, I'm a Republican partisan? Got it.

 
At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Liberal Man On Bike said...

"It's safe to say many, if not most of us, feel local media leans to the left."

"Many"? fine, b/c "many" could be 5. "most"? What is your basis for that? 25% voted for state-wide Democrats in HumCo last election how do we know the news shouldn't be moving even further left to meet the requirements of a populace that understands things like - a) we don't want another civil war, b) gun control is not always a bad thing, c) bombing Iran may not be the best thing for America's future, d) what libertarians and Republicans call "entitlements" are essential parts of a modern society that want's all of it's members to be able to survive and possibly thrive, e) etc.

But that's it, that's the game that needs to be played to try to bring back counter-productive policies like lower regulations and lesser top marginal tax rates in the era of catastrophic and increasing income inequality.

You are the last soul on the North Coast blogosphere brave enough to espouse this position regularly and I admire you for it.

 
At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Liberal Man On Bike said...

Also, what is up with the male old timers and/ or conservatives and the "shame on..." card?

Is that something that left ou culture with Dr. Spock? I don't know, but it seems anachronistic to me.

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aren't the Libertarians a party? Don't you promote thier views as better than the other parties?

You are partisan. Face it.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"don't you promote thier views as better than the other parties?".

Not really. For one, I'm against open borders. I'm sure there are other issues I might disagree with, at least in part on. I can't recall any time I've advocated doctrinaire LP positions, although I can't swear on that. Might have, but only because my opinions might have been the same as the party's, if only by coincidence.

You might recall the original post on this thread I mentioned I don't pay much mind to the Coffee Club Libertarians. That's a substantial number of LPers, at least online.

I haven't been a dues paying member of the LP for at least ten years now and have no plans to start again. I am registered to vote with the Libertarian Party and have no plans to change that.

 
At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred, not all Republicans are against Obama's Cuba policy

http://www.kansas.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/article7056602.html

 
At 6:45 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I'm sure that's true, but I would think a partisan Republican wouldn't compliment Obama on that policy.

 
At 6:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Liberal media......yeah sure Fred
Keep up the talking points

 
At 3:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's bad enough that KIEM seems to be forever staffed by people barely out of high school. And one old guy. Not to mention that they don't broadcast in true HD like the rest of the televised world.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home