Monday, June 15, 2015

A Punk Hippie?

That's me probably a bit before I moved up here. My sister had the picture and says it was taken in '71. I'm not so sure about that as I would have been going to University High School at that time and they didn't allow facial or other long hair. Probably taken closer to '73.

A hippie? Probably. Punk? Maybe not, but who am I to say? I would have probably identified myself as a Yippie earlier on. That came from the Youth International Party, a term coined by either the late Abbie Hoffman or Jerry Rubin back in the day. Kind of a revolution for the hell of it attitude as Hoffman wrote. Hoffman and Rubin were two of my heroes back then.

4 Comments:

At 8:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Punk music and it's related social tendencies didn't start till 1976 or so. 1974 at the very earliest. You were clearly trying to look like a hippy. It was popular at the time. Every guy wants to attract girls. It's all good, man!

 
At 8:20 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I believe there were always punks, even before punk music.

 
At 11:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Always punks? Cro magnon punks? Inca punks? Greek punks? The way you are using the word punk is how it was used in the early 20 th century. Referring to youthful males, sometimes of the lower class. Punks and hippies used together suggests an ideology, not an age group. Ironically hippies and punks have very similar ideologies. The only differences I see are that hippies have colorful dress, while punks wear black. Hippies dream of living a poor existence in the country. Punks dream of living a poor existence in the city. They both love good old fashioned sex, drugs and rock and roll!!!!

 
At 7:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Punk started in the early 70s not the mid to late 70s. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/2601493.stm

 

Post a Comment

<< Home