Thursday, June 25, 2015

Evolution Of The N- Word

Over at the Authority blog, Tim Taylor takes us through the evolution of the N- word. It used to be negro was ok, even used by Martin Luther King. Now that's considered not cool, at least by some. What will the next N- word be?

Too funny, as I was wondering the same thing recently after at least one reader got his panties in a wad over me using negro. I got to wondering the same thing as Taylor: When will African- American will be considered a racial slur. I give it no more than 15 years.

5 Comments:

At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that I was the person with his "panties in a wad". I laughed at you. I wasn't angry. Get it straight.

As much as your little brain hates to admit it, things change. The term Indian has been replaced by Native American. Oriental by Asian. Negro by African American.

You can go along saying those words. But people will laugh at you and call you old and ignorant. Unfortunately, ignorance is worn as a badge by many these days.

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Similarly, I'm puzzled by the term, "Real American" that appeared to come out of nowhere with the arrival of one Sarah Palin on the political scene a few years back. Tea Party has latched onto that term in a big way too, I'm noticed. Yes, yes, Obama was really born in Kenya. Trump has told us so, and he's a "Real American"
Perhaps, Fred, you could cut and paste a post about that one: What constitutes a "Real American", as opposed to, oh, I don't know, a Faux American, a non native born American, a Rupert Murdocked American. Could it possibly be code for - White, Native-born American?

 
At 4:43 PM, Blogger Rose said...

Oh Gawd, Fred, you brought out the crazies!

 
At 5:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rose prefers the term Tea Bagger for her political organization, correct?

 
At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Liberal Jon said...

Yes Rose, the anon is the crazy in this discussion.

Empathy, respect, understanding...similarly insane.

Luckily the USA is such a great place, as Fred, you and I understand, that the arch of history is toward the "crazy" as you put it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home