Saturday, June 20, 2015

Facebook Has Competition?

The last couple days I've been seeing mention of a new social networking site. Minds.com is supposed to be a step up from Facebook with more privacy and a bunch of protections FB doesn't offer. I might well have already tried it if it was as easy to start with as FB but, as best I can tell, you have to download something to your computer to use it. I'm not comfortable with that, at least not yet.

I have a like/hate relationship with Facebook. The only reason I ever signed up for it in the first place was it seemed the only way I could find someone. I forget who that was. Not sure I ever found him but I've been using FB ever since. 

I don't particularly like a lot of what I find there and I don't like its boss guy, Mark Zuckerberg. I still stop by there many times a day for feeds from magazines and such. Some Friends actually post some interesting links, too. Gives me all kinds of reading and stuff to post here on occasion. Once this Minds thing is up and running with all the kinks out, maybe I'll give it a try.

8 Comments:

At 8:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I find it strange when people say that don't like someone they have never met. I hear it more and more these days from Americans. From politicians, to sports figures, to tv actors, to business owners. Everyone is automatically hated by someone else. Just for being themselves.

You can say that you don't like someone's ideas, or their style, or thier tactics, but to say you don't like THEM is more hatred than I'd like to put out to the world. Especially when you are saying that about someone you have never met

 
At 8:35 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I've read more than enough stuff that Zuckerberg has said to know I dislike him, at least to some extent. He's a not- very- bright rich guy.

 
At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"He's a not- very- bright rich guy"

Coming from Fred? You just made my day.

 
At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, please. You like plenty of not very bright rich guys.

But yeah, you've read articles....

Funny stuff, trying to portray yourself as an intellectual man who speaks for the masses. You are a libertarian. The mantra is that the toughest survive and the weak perish. There is no talk of concern for the masses or for existential questions in libertarianism.

But yeah, you don't like him because he's a dumb rich guy and you've read articles to prove it...lol

 
At 1:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't need to download anything to create an account on the website. In the upper right-hand corner, click "Create channel."

The stuff you see about the Apple Store and GooglePlay are to downloads apps for your smartphone. You can still use the website through a web browser on your smartphone, but the app makes it easier.

 
At 1:31 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Thanx for the heads up.

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

We Are Change interviewed a guy from the Minds site. Sounds exhilaratingly refreshing! Imagine being able to actually see the posts of those we follow. It's already taking off, apparently. Interview http://youtu.be/_OJkEb0AK_I

 
At 8:53 AM, Blogger Julie Timmons said...

I, too, loathe FB but to claim Zuckerberg is not very bright is just silly. Really silly.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home