Friday, July 10, 2015

The Wedding Cake Thing Again

Over at Reason magazine, Scott Shackford looks again at the Oregon case where a Christian couple were fined $135, 000 for refusing to make a wedding cake for a lesbian couple. This time he focuses on the Oregon Bureau of Labor and Industries (BOLI)- the agency that levied the fine- and their thinking behind it.

Apparently BOLI tried to defend it's decision by sending out a release citing a case where they ruled in favor of a Christian gal who was supposedly forced to attend some sort of Scientology training seminar. She felt it ran contrary to her religious beliefs to attend that seminar. BOLI agreed with her, yet they use that example to show they're even handed?

As Shackford points out, their rulings oppose each other. In the wedding cake case, they rule against religious freedom. In the Scientology case they ruled for it. A rather poor example for them to use as an excuse.

What Shackford didn't address is any common link between the two cases. The rulings were exact opposites. Was there any common link? It seems to me there is one: They ruled against the business owners in both instances, regardless of the facts.

Shackford goes on to point out that discrimination complaints are rare in Oregon- seven in the last seven years. That kind of enforces what I wrote here earlier about discrimination actions being rare enough in this country they make national news when they are alleged to have taken place. 

I wish the now out of business Kleins luck in their appeal of the appalling fine levied upon them. I wish the worst for the lesbian couple that sued them.


15 Comments:

At 7:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bam! You nailed it Fred.

 
At 8:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred, do your research. This fine was not for refusing to make a cake for the couple...it was because the Kleins posted the lesbian couples personal contact information on their Facebook page, which resulted in the couple lambasted with death threats etc.

 
At 9:03 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

And they deserved it!

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah! Be angry that people are open. Keep em in the closet, like Fred....

Must be more fun if you think you are doing something wrong. Thats some kinky stuff in Fred's head.

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Nope. Angry when someone tries to force themselves upon someone else.

 
At 9:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Haha! Youve already been proven too lazy or biased to actually read why they sued!

Keep em in the closet is all that you keep preaching. Admit it gay people make you uncomfortable. You aren't secure with your own sexuality, so you feel the need to put down others. Weak and sad and most likely a gay or bi person yourself. I don't think I've ever read about you talking about hot chicks now that I think about it...hmmmm

 
At 9:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope. Angry when someone tries to force themselves upon someone else...

And that kids is why I would NEVER, as a straight male, be in a room alone with Fred. Not because i think he will bore me to death talkng about television shows. I'm deathly afraid of men who claim to be anti gay. I value my butt virginity too much

 
At 9:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lol. Let me guess. Next you'll be telling us not to "shove it down your throat".

Perverts among us...

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"I'm deathly afraid of men who claim to be anti gay."

Where have I wrote I was anti- gay? I've been outspoken, here and in the local papers, in support of same sex marriage. I'm against sodomy laws and believe that people's sex lives are their personal business.

I don't believe in people being able to force themselves on others. This is about supposed anti- discrimination laws and the right of everyone to discriminate (as we do every day). It's also very much about the right of association and non- association.

 
At 11:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I was the person who pointed out the actual reason for the large amount of money won by the lesbian couple. I am sure Fred, realized the actual basis for the decision..but wanted to make his point, thus "twisting the truth" to justify his strict Libertarian values..that any business can refuse service to anyone, even if it is based on discrimination. I personally know Fred, and do not believe he is "homophobic"...but is a tad brainwashed with strict Libertarian values. And truthfully Fred....you actually supported the death threats made against this lesbian couple?....that is just to far out there.

 
At 11:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was the person saying I wouldn't want to be in a room alone with him. I wasn't saying that he was homophobic. I'm kinda saying he's a fake homophobe and maybe a closeted homo. I'm saying that I would be the homophobic one around him. Don't get me wrong, I would totally vote for gay rights, I just wouldn't be caught dead in a room alone with a person who obsesses over gay sex and then tries to play it off as some political thing.

People who constantly think about gays and post article after article about gays are probably gay or at least bi. Straight people who are comfortable with sexuality don't go around obsessing over everything gay people do, I'm sorry.

 
At 2:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Up next on "As The Libertarian Turns":

The Kleins will now refuse to sing T'is The Season To Be Jolly in their local Christmas Choral because they would have to sing that dreaded "now we don our gay apparel" line. It violates their 1st Amendment rights and also causes a foul bile taste to well up in their throats. Should they resign from the Choral or should they be allowed to refuse to sing just that one vile song?
Let the true Libertarian in YOU decide.

 
At 7:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred, why did you claim those people were fined "for refusing to make a wedding cake for a lesbian couple" when you know that claim is false?

Or, are you claiming that despite your various readings of news reports, you honestly believed they were fined for not baking a cake for a same-sex wedding?

 
At 9:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Closeted gay people are confused. I feel bad for Fred.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home