Friday, August 28, 2015

Prepare For Rain

Weather.com says have a 90% chance of rain late tonight. Let's get those rain gauges out if you don't have yours out already. I put mine out this morning. It's like the one in the photo. I like it because we can usually read it from inside our back door. Stole the photo from Ebay.

I hope we get a bunch, but I'll probably be disappointed. Remember that 90% chance of rain only means a 90% chance of measurable precipitation. I knew a guy years ago that though 90% chance of rain meant something along of it raining 90% of the day. Took me and another guy some time to convince him otherwise.

4 Comments:

At 9:36 AM, Blogger Julie Timmons said...

Never had a rain gauge. I just KNOW it won't work.

 
At 9:44 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

We've had ours since the early 80s. Maybe 1981. Bought it at the Burre Center Longs Drugs for about what Ebay is asking now, minus the shipping. Thinking of buying a new one now if only because the float that marks rain level is getting all faded. Makes it harder to read from inside the house.

 
At 10:45 AM, Blogger Julie Timmons said...

Well, my outdoor thermometer didn't work either

 
At 12:19 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Rain gauges always work, unless they crack from exposure to the sun over time. Get a larger one, though. I've never understood those that buy the teeny ones you have to be right next to to read.

But you're right about outdoor thermometers. We had one in our patio that came with the house. That worked for years and then stopped changing with lower temperatures.

We bought another one at Shafer's to replace it. I don't think it went a month before it was obvious it wasn't showing the right temperature. One of my customers had the same experience. I don't see what could go wrong with them as they're fairly simple, but they don't seem to last long.

We kinda gave up on thermometers because of that but enjoyed checking the temperatures at various times.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home