Saturday, August 29, 2015

Speaking of CAPTCHA and User Verification

I was speaking with Johnny Maniac yesterday. He mentioned that new, occasional comment verification thing where a bunch of pictures show up and you have to choose two or three that have to do with...whatever. It could be a steak, salad or ocean. You make your picks and it says you're real, if you get them all right.

I have nothing to do with that. It does it to me, too, and I HATE IT! My choices are often wrong and I have to do it again, adding insult to injury. Why Google thinks they can just throw something like that into a blog is beyond me. I know of no way to stop it. Sorry.

6 Comments:

At 3:16 PM, Blogger MOLA:42 said...

I am constantly shamed by this feature because I evidently do not truly know what waffles are.

 
At 7:21 PM, Blogger Doug Rose said...

as a blind computer user my screen reader cannot handle these challenges. They are more than just a challenge they are a road block.

 
At 7:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doug, the visual captcha does offer an auditory version where you type the letters you hear. Whether your screen reader correctly accesses the menu is a different matter.

 
At 8:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm just relieved they're not using the wiggly symbols that only 8 yr olds can decipher.

 
At 10:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I second 8:45 pm. I HATED those wiggly symbols. I like the house addresses. I have never been wrong on any of the picture selections. I never knew the Internet was so afraid of robot commenters!

 
At 7:20 AM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

I like the house addresses, too. Very easy to use. The squiggly line ones are often real difficult to decipher, but at least there's an option there for another choice.

It irks me that Google, or whoever it is, thinks it's their place to decide what sort of verification is used on a blog. They should give the choice to whoever runs the blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home