Friday, September 04, 2015

N.C. Journal Does Humboldt Traffic

The North Coast Journal looks this week at Humboldt's traffic accident statistics. I was pleased to see them address vehicle vs. pedestrian accidents. Eureka Police Traffic dude, Gary Whitmer, pointed out many accidents are pedestrian's fault:

"Whitmer said the pedestrian education effort is huge, as he said pedestrians and bicyclists are at fault for a shocking number of accidents in town."

I've wrote before that the vast majority of such accidents could likely have been avoided if pedestrians simply pay attention and don't just expect drivers to see them and stop. I've gone back and forth here and elsewhere over this with many arguing it's the fault of drivers because they're supposed to stop. Good luck with that. Good to see at least someone agreeing with me on this.

3 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Again I agree, I have had so many pedestrians walk right out and not look and expect you to stop.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Julie Timmons said...

Yes! Had it happen just yesterday.

 
At 2:57 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

You're supposed to STOP, Julie!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home