Tuesday, November 24, 2015

That Guy vs. Gal Pay Difference Thing

I've been confused lately when I hear about the supposed pay difference between males getting paid more for the same work than females. Confused because, quite frankly, I don't remember ever seeing it in real life. As I recall, pretty much every job I've had everyone was paid the same for the same work.

I was glad to see Richard Rider address the issue on his blog this morning. As he points out, it just doesn't really happen, at least not anymore: "If women are being paid 50%, 60%, 70% less for the same work, it's an easy matter to both highlight such disparities and to bring lawsuits under federal law to rectify such injustices.  Ain't happenin'.  Like Bigfoot, it's too elusive a creature to be documented."


Thanks for clearing that up, Richard.



6 Comments:

At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It does really happen. It's not wise to make absolute statements about something already proven true, with lawsuits won over this very issue.

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with Fred on this one. Most guys I know make less than their girlfriends/wives. My wife makes more hourly and gets tips on top of it. I have a degree, she doesnt. I have 20 years experience in my field. Shes been at her job for less than a year. She has always been able to fall into easy, good paying jobs, while ive been digging ditches for low wages. Many jobs that guys do, such as construction, yard work, restaurant work, ect have become low paying and harder to find since our corporations would rather hire cheaper immigrants. Just my two cents

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger Julie Timmons said...

"Ain't happening?" Happens everyday.

 
At 10:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fred, you continue to represent the idiots so well. "If I can't see it, it must not exist".

 
At 4:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Like Bigfoot or,voter fraud, it's too elusive a creature to be documented."

 
At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a woman I can tell you its true. I've watched male colleagues doing the same job as myself with less senority making more money than I do no matter what Federal and State laws have to say about it.

Its still an "old boys" network in the vast majority of the workplaces...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home