Tuesday, February 09, 2016

Mosquito Vaccinations

The Daily Sheeple looks at the recent- at least what they seem to think is- hysreria over the Zika virus and the idea to use genetically engineered mosquitoes to vaccinate people against it. Doesn't seem like too bad of an idea to me at first glance. They do make the point about ethical considerations, though, such as vaccinating without consent.

My concern about this was more along the lines of altering the food chain, but maybe I'm way off base? I was wondering if the genetic engineering might result in those mosquitos becoming dominant over other mosquitos. What if critters up the food chain didn't like to eat the GE mosquitos, thus having less food available, or something along that line?

I suppose that's not too sereious of a concern because I'm not sure we have any examples of GE products today that are deemed less edible than their non- GE counterparts. Heck, we can't tell the difference between GE corn and non- GE. Would it be any different with mosquitoes? 

Hard to say but,after thinking about it,  I'm not sure I like the idea of messing around with something like that. Once you get something like that started, there might not be any going back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home