Friday, April 08, 2016

American Automobile Association: Yes or No?

Known mostly as AAA, I saw a paid program of theirs on TV a couple weeks ago. Leaving aside what one thinks of paid programing and the companies that pay for them, they gave a pretty good sales pitch. Something like $56 a year gets you free roadside service, discounts at various hotels, and so on. I wondered it it might be worth it for us to join?

We already have roadside service with our car insurance, so not sure that would be all that much help but I thought it might be nice for the wife if her car broke down when she was alone. That would give her one easy number to call and hopefully take care of her problems.

The hotel discounts certainly were worth taking a look at but, from what their web page shows, they only apply to two or three different chains, none of which we'd probably want to stay at save the Best Western.

Maybe there's other benefits to membership? Anyone have any experiences, good or bad, with AAA? I see they have an office now down on Koster Street back behind the Jack in the Box.

6 Comments:

At 2:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thier DMV services alone are worth it. I am glad to have AAA and not have to stand in line.

Also thier rates on car & home insurance cant be beat.

Thier app will tell you where you can get discounts on admission or food. Costco has better discounts on alot of travel, but I still keep AAA.

 
At 2:26 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

Thanks. That's 1 for AAA, none against.

 
At 2:48 PM, Anonymous Bushytails said...

Their DMV service is incredibly useful, and if your car breaks down, their towing is far superior to any I've seen offered by insurance companies etc. Get the normal package with 100-mile tows, not the cheap one. I don't use their discounts much, as most places I do business with don't offer them.

--Bushytails
P.S. your blog is making me do google's stupid worthless shit with selecting images. I will not be posting on it again. If you want people to leave comments, don't make them act like trained dolphins.

 
At 5:20 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"your blog is making me do google's stupid worthless shit with selecting images. I will not be posting on it again. If you want people to leave comments, don't make them act like trained dolphins."

I actually have no control over how this blog does its "captcha" thing. It does it to me time and again and I hate it, too. As I wrote here previously about that, Google should let the person running the blog decide how comments are filtered, but they don't, and I'm subject to the same anoyances as everyone else.

 
At 5:22 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"It's important to know that if you and your wife both drive, that a single membership only applies to one person. ".

Good to know. Thanx. I hadn't considered that,but that's the kind of stuff I'm wondering about.

 
At 5:25 PM, Blogger Fred Mangels said...

"if you're planning your stay in advance, you can usually find a good deal online without the membership"

I'm skeptical of internet reservations if only because I made one once- the Novato Days Inn, years ago- and was told by the front desk gal when I checked in they could have given me a better deal if I made the reservation directly through them. Oh, well.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home